Ash Tree / Risk To Property

Ash Tree / Risk To Property

Postby barneybates » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:30 pm

Hello,
Great forum by the way, anyway I'm after some advice. Ok 10 years ago this particular ash tree caused havoc to our drains and eventually the neighbour agreed to have this tree cut back. This was done and some 20 or 30 feet of the tree was taken down, this was before I bought this house and the owner of the tree bought his house. And although I refer to him as a neighbour his back garden faces our back garden and the tree has no effect on his property at all.
As you can see from the photograph, this tree is now over twice the size of our houses, depending on where you are standing it also starting to lean towards our houses the nearest house effected is approximately 6 - 10 metres from the tree but it will also effect at least 4 others, plus vehicles should anything happen. Over the last month or so I can hear this tree either cracking or creaking whatever you want to call it as though wood is being split. Because of this I called in a Arborologist for some independent advice, he said that it was 'when' and not 'if' that this will come down. He knocked on the tree owners door and we all had a discussion about what should happen, he quoted £1200 and recommended that at least 40% of the tree be taken down, rather than put my house at risk I offered to pay 50% the owner of the tree has refused, my other neighbours have also agreed to split the bill. My question is really, whether you guys would consider this tree to be a risk to both life and property. I would rather deal with a potential danger rather than wait for something to happen.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
barneybates

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Ash Tree / Risk To Property

Postby ukmicky » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:24 pm

Yes a very big tree but height and locality to a building is not a defect requiring any action.

The possibility of if falling in the future due to a defect that occurs in the future does not mean he has to do anything now. . All trees can be said to live with the possibility of falling and that is something a house owner has to take into account when they purchase a property.

The Arborologist going around to the tree owner is not proof of a problem requiring any actions . What defect did he find with it.

A professionally compiled report detailing defects which could cause it to drop a limb or fall over would mean that the tree owner would have to take notice and at the minimum have someone qualified look a the tree to see if any action is warranted . .

Without any proof of a defect causing a danger all that a normal householder like him has to do to show he has show due care to you is visually inspect the tree himself.

If you feel the tree is a danger due to defect call your local council. But be warned no action will be need to be taken unless a defect which can be seen is discovered.
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
ukmicky

Postby barneybates » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:22 pm

Hi, thanks for your reply well it is actually damaging 2 garden walls, both walls belong to the tree owner, one wall is falling into a public footpath although this footpath is no longer accessible to the general public for crime prevention reasons, it is still a public footpath. The end wall runs along our road which is a close, so the road terminates at the wall edge, this wall is completely fractured. Does the noise that this tree makes indicate something is wrong? Or is normal for Ash trees to sound like wood splitting?
barneybates

Postby Treeman » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:25 pm

You say the "arborologist" is independent yet he goes on to provide a quote meaning he is hardly independent

The best you can do is remind the tree owner of his duty of care to others
Treeman

Postby Treeman » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:37 pm

nothingtodowithme wrote:Is it not an arborticulturalist?

It is indeed.

I was put in mind of the Maureen Lipman "you got an ology"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEfKEzX9QLE
Treeman

Postby blue » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:49 pm

Very hard too tell from the PIC but on the left hand stem there appears to be a a scar half way up that I would consider need further investigation. Looks like an old lightning strike but hard to tell. Could be wrong though?
blue

Return to Trees