Neighbours Tree & Mess

Neighbours Tree & Mess

Postby deano » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:10 pm

Hi,

I am looking for some advice, my neighbour has a very large tree in his front garden, i could not advise as to which type but it is big. It hangs over the public pavement as well as our shared driveway access to our garages as well as over my personal driveway which is where my car is parked. Every year for roughly 2 weeks my car gets cover with sap from this tree which i can accept, but now small bud like items are falling onto my car and also my driveway which is making a right mess. I have had to clean both car & driveway for the last 3 weeks as the items which are falling from the tree are making a right mess. The pavement outide his garden is covered in this stuff and looks awful. To get to my car i have to walk through the bud like items which are on my driveway which them means i am getting this mess in my car, and to get to the house i have to do the same which means that it is coming into my house. I spoke with my neighbour yeaterday about this and his response was "It's a tree, it grows", which you can appreciate did not go down too well. He did say that he would get someone round to look at it but i am not holding my breath for this. Can anyone advise where i stand legally if nothing is done. Should we have very strong wind and branches come down, it is possible that they could fall onto my vehicle or even fall on a pedestrian.
deano

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Neighbours Tree & Mess

Postby appledore » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:57 pm

You could cut the branches that overhang your driveway back to the boundary, but you're not allowed to reduce the height of the tree.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby kipper » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:03 pm

Apart from what appledore has said you are on a hiding to nothing. If the tree is otherwise healthy there's nothing much you can do. Branches sometimes fall off trees and in very strong winds anything can happen.
kipper

Postby hzatph » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:23 am

Be careful if you are in a conservation area - you are not entitles to cut back there without permission.
hzatph

Postby deano » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:56 am

Thanks for the replies, unfortunately the branches that overhang my driveway are too high up for me to cut them off. I am not too bothered about its height its just the amount of crap that it produces. Today, just 2 days after cleaning the driveway, another load of mess lies on my driveway which now requires cleaning up, otherwise it will go in my cay & house from having to walk through it. It seems that as always the innocent party gets the rough deal.
deano

Postby despair » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:23 am

I agree with you

your only way forward though is to get a tree surgeon to cut back all the branches to the boundary and offer the arisings to the neighbour
despair

Postby deano » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:10 pm

I appreciate all of the responses.

I just dont see why the 'innocent party' should have to stump out the money to take care off something that is
a. not their possession and not on their property,
b. causing a nuisance to the innocent party.
c. potentially unsafe in strong winds.

I still have the autumn to come yet with all the leaves falling into my garden. Last year i collected 7 black sacks worth of leaves which came from the neighbours tree. They had a skip on their grass at the time so i dumped the bags in there. This tree i assume will only get bigger and this problem escalates with it.
deano

Postby kipper » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:44 pm

Caveat emptor.
kipper

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Trees