Nuisance caused by clump of large sycamores

Nuisance caused by clump of large sycamores

Postby SycamoreTrees » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:35 am

I would appreciate any advice on the following scenario. We live in a road where the back gardens join onto the back gardens of the next road. One of the gardens, belonging to a house on the next road, has a large clump of huge Sycamores growing in it. This house is rented and the people renting it hate the trees (for the mess they create with leaves, the fact that their house is in darkness most of the day, and the trees are full of rooks which are very noisy. My neighbours are pensioners and have a big fight to clear the place from leaves and seedlings, and there are many branches overgrowing their property that are too high to be reached by them. Several gardens (inc ours) have greatly reduced light and a problem with branches overgrowing the properties etc. The tenants would love to get rid of these trees as would everyone around them. The trees are so big that one falling towards the house, in the garden where the trees are growing, would do severe damage to it. A nearby Working Mens Club would also be at great risk from such an event, and there are often many people outside and therefore nearer to the trees. Is there anything that can be done about these trees? Preferably removal. No-one wants them and they are only there because successive renters just allowed them to grow. The tenants have asked the landlord to do something but they are only interested in their money each week.
SycamoreTrees

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Nuisance caused by clump of large sycamores

Postby TO » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:19 pm

Hi

nothingtodowithme wrote:Good morning hopefully Treeeman will be along later to give you good and informative advice.
Well as he appears to be dawdling a bit I'll give it a go.

The responsibility for the trees depends on the terms of the tennancy agreement and who is responsible for looking after the garden. This is usually the tennant, but it's worth checking.

If it is the tennant, get together with them and your other neighbours who are affected and organise quotes from 2 or 3 local tree surgery firms. Check with the Council to make sure the trees aren't protected. If they are notify/apply for consent to fell. Choose the tree surgeon you're happiest with and get the work done. If its the house owner get together with them and agree to fell the treess

As a matter of courtesy I'd advise the owner of what is intended if teh tennant is responsible.

Oh yes and share the costs. What do you mean they're not your trees so you don't see why you should pay.

TO
TO

Postby despair » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:38 pm

" there not your trees so why should you pay "

sadly sums up the craziness of situations like this
despair

Postby SycamoreTrees » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:04 pm

I think the trouble is that the tenant doesn't have much cash to spare, and since they are renting they don't necessarily see it the same way as all the other people who are owner/occupiers. They would love to be rid of the trees though. I'd guess that these trees are about 25 to 30 metres tall and are growing across the ends of two gardens that are about 16m wide in total. The trees cover an area of about 23m wide by 13m judging from Google Earth. It is difficult to tell how many trees are there due to number of trunks rising up but could this be viewed as a hedge since there are so many? One very, very large hedge!
SycamoreTrees

Postby Treeman » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:40 pm

despair wrote:whilst sycamores easily sprout and root they do not grow overnight

hence the tenants clearly do not even bother to pull them or probably the weeds up

Cant understand why anyone would rent a house with a garden and then neglect it to give others non stop problems

I bet the tenants can find money to go down the pub etc if it suits them

If they are elderly and truly short of cash as well they might be I am sure theres voluntary groups in the area who would help them deal with the trees

Equally there might be someone on a freecycle/freegle group who can properly/safely handle a chainsaw and will fell the trees for the logs

Its garbage like this that puts me right off posting on these boards, posting what I think of this unrelated tripe will get me another ban so I am out
Treeman

Postby arsie » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:23 pm

despair wrote:whilst sycamores easily sprout and root they do not grow overnight

hence the tenants clearly do not even bother to pull them or probably the weeds up

Cant understand why anyone would rent a house with a garden and then neglect it to give others non stop problems

If they are elderly and truly short of cash as well they might be I am sure theres voluntary groups in the area who would help them deal with the trees

This rant about tenants which might or might not be true is irrelevant and unhelpful in my opinion :(

despair wrote:Equally there might be someone on a freecycle/freegle group who can properly/safely handle a chainsaw and will fell the trees for the logs

Safely cutting down trees surrounded by property needs more than just 'properly/safely handle a chainsaw'. Skilled arborists who can do such work in tall trees charge a few pounds and are worth every penny. They won't do it just for the logs nor will anyone qualified to do so. Chain saws are dangerous tools. Felling such trees in urban built-up surroundings is highly paid and extremely risky even for highly skilled arborists.

You need expert advice. I suggest you speak to your local council's trees officer about this issue. There might be something helpful on the council web site. If you have some money you could commission a report from a arborial consultant but I would first ask and see what they will say for free.

There is also the question of legality. You can't just gang up and cut other peoples' trees down!!

It is a great pity that Treeman has pulled out.
arsie

Postby TO » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:58 pm

Hi

One issue with tenants is they're here today and gone tomorrow, well in 6 months anyway. So what incentive is there for making and keeping a nice garden that will cost them £100's. From the landlords point of view at best its the tenants job to maintain the garden, at worst why should they pay £100's for work that doesn't benefit them. Bit of a vicious circle.

The sycamores may form a hedge but it's not a hedge to which the Anti-social behaviour Act applies.

Why should everyone chip in. To resolve the shared problem at a reasonable cost to each party. It may not be everyone's answer but it's pragmatic and it gets the job done to everyone's satisfaction at a price they can afford. Which has to be better than not having the trees down because you refuse to contribute part of the cost. It's called cost/benefit.

TO
TO

Postby SycamoreTrees » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:43 pm

It is true that these trees did not grow overnight and they were not such a nuisance for many years. It is also true that tenants don't usually stay for long (therefore don't want to spend money on things that won't benefit them) and I doubt if the current ones will, with no light in the place during the day. I agree about the unhelpful comments about them having pub money, I don't know that and neither does the person who suggested it. It makes me wonder if the landlord is truthful with the insurance company, ours always ask if there are trees within a certain distance of the house. Thanks for the other thoughts, it sounds as though talking to the council might be a good idea but I bet they won't do anything, they can't afford to fix holes in the roads! Although they can plant flowers on roundabouts! So maybe plants are high on their agenda...
SycamoreTrees

Postby SycamoreTrees » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:46 pm

nothingtodowithme wrote:

Equally there might be someone on a freecycle/freegle group who can properly/safely handle a chainsaw and will fell the trees for the logs

Comments of tenants finding money to go down the pub is unhelpful; as I understand it the current tenants are in agreement with the op. moving on to the op have you contacted the landlord?

I have not contacted the landlord, I was hoping for some good arguments to convince them, the tenants have but the landlord isn't interested (either way as long as they don't have to pay)
SycamoreTrees

Postby kipper » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:24 pm

TO is correct. The best way to deal with this is to club together, as everyone benefits and it appears no one wants to keep the trees.
kipper

Postby COGGY » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:01 pm

Despair it is totally wrong to "Tar everyone with the same brush". We have been letting a house for 15 months now. Our tenants are lovely. The Letting Agents always send us a good report on the condition of the house when they do their inspection. We would not expect the tenants to deal with any large trees if there were any. They keep the garden in a reasonable state but it is not their responsibility to deal with major things in the garden, any more than itis their responsibility to have the gas boiler serviced and obtain the required Safety Certificate. That is the responsibility of us as Landlords. It is best, we believe, to look for the best in people. No-one has the right to "Judge" anyone else, particularly someone they have not seen or met.
COGGY

Postby kipper » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:09 pm

despair wrote:Problem is unless every seedling is also found and removed it wont be long before more spring up

The landlord is doing themself no favours and like it ir not i have seen this situation before where tenants were responsible for gardens upkeep but a total jungle grew while they always had time and money for beer and bingo

Sycamores are very prolific providers of self sown seedlings

Who says the trees have grown from seedlings whilst the current tenants have been in residence? The OP states that they are pensioners who struggle to clear leaves and pull new seedlings, so they don't sound the type who have let their garden become a "jungle".
kipper

Postby arsie » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:55 pm

Despair is right about sycamore seeds. Here in Norfolk the sycamore is considered a serious weed. Soon after moving in, next door had a mature one removed from near to our south boundary, and we supported his case to the council (we live in a conservation area and you cannot remove trees without their permission even when there isn't a TP order in place.) We are still rooting out seedlings from this tree three years later. If I were you I would volunteer to help the tenants and hunt down every last sycamore seedling. But the whys and wherefores of the seedlings is a minor side issue. It's the mature grown trees that are the problem.

Re the council. They won't actually do anything but they should be able to tell you where you stand for free.

The property owner is the one who owns the trees. Unless I am mistaken only he can do something about them.

He is unlikely to do so in my estimation if he has to pay out any money. Landlords dislike unnecessary expenditure. If by some wild stroke of luck you do get his approval to act *AND* the council say he may remove the trees *AND* you and your neighbours pay for this *AND* you give him the money from selling the logs, he just *MIGHT* agree, on the basis that the amenity of his property is enhanced and therefore he can charge more rent.

Greed rules :twisted:
arsie

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Trees