Trees needed to help block noise from neighbour

Trees needed to help block noise from neighbour

Postby zoe1993 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:15 pm

I posted on here a while ago about our neighbours who have been allowed to build a first floor balcony which overlooks all of our garden and house, especially our bedroom windows. Following the really good advice from members we have planted a mix of large evergreen and deciduous trees and lots of bamboo in the gaps to try and avoid allegations of having a high hedge. Our neighbours are the kind of people who think they have a right to whatever they want and they continue to portray themselves as the 'victims'. We now have security cameras installed following damage to our cars and paint thrown over our cat.

Unfortunately, they are also extremely loud in every way and the constant noise from the balcony and it's open doors goes way beyond reasonable ie: loud tv at 2am in the morning. We desperately need to sell our house and I am considering creating a border in front of our existing trees and planting evergreens in strategic places. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best trees or large bushes that can help to absorb sound?
zoe1993

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Trees needed to help block noise from neighbour

Postby despair » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:47 pm

Dreaded Leylandi

but you could try laurels or photinia red robin
despair

Re: Trees needed to help block noise from neighbour

Postby COGGY » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:58 pm

Your neighbours sound similar to ours, apart from the fact that ours have not damaged cars. We planted portugese (sp) laurel and it grew really quickly. We have discovered that to make shrubs etc grow you need to really water them. Bamboo needs lots of water every day. We have one (in a very large rubber tub) which we have had for less than a year. We water it every day, sometimes twice a day, and it has grown really quickly. I am sure you are aware of how to thin them. My husband had a lesson from the garden centre and it really works. The stems left grow really thick and strong. We had owned a bamboo for years, which did not grow much at all. Now we know the secret it too has grown. Whatever you choose keep it really well watered. It is worth while.
COGGY

Return to Trees