Saving A Tree

Saving A Tree

Postby sidney9966 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:03 am

I live on a mobile home site and I have had notice from the council that a tree in my garden is a fire hazard and needs to be chopped down. This is most beautiful eucalyptus tree ever and has obviously been there for years as it is 30 foot high. I am quite happy to trim it down but it is so sad that such a beautiful tree needs to die . I do suspect its my vindictive neighbour that has complained about it but I was just wondering other than scaling the tree and protesting can I do anything to save it??? :(
sidney9966

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Saving A Tree

Postby COGGY » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:43 am

Is it worth asking advice from the local Fire Brigade? They would be able to say for certain whether it is a fire risk.
COGGY

Postby arsie » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:38 pm

Google them e.g. http://voices.yahoo.com/eucalyptus-tree-thats-messy-hard-rid-and-1036327.html. Eucalyptus trees are such a fire hazard that California is trying to reduce their numbers. The tree is native to Australia and I think, in that ecoculture, forest fires are a natural form of regeneration. The tree was originally introduced to California in the hope of using it for timber but although fast growing it is not suitable. When he came to visit, my nephew from Australia was horrified when I had a big garden fire with hedge cuttings. In his country I would have been thrown in jail. The tree contains aromatic oils as a defence mechanism and it is this which makes it a fire hazard. In a fire it tends to 'explode' and burst into flames throwing burning bark around the place. Not a suitable companion for mobile homes I would have thought. Your tree at 30 feet must be quite a young one, they can get over 100 feet high.
arsie

Postby TO » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:48 pm

Hi Sidney9966

Which country do you live in. I ask because fires in eucalyptus stands are a problem in certain places. Although I've never come across such a problem with eucalyptus in the UK because; they don't grow in large stands here, and usually the weather isn't hot dry and sunny which is a precursor to most large wildfires.

Is it one tree, or one tree in a large eucolyptus stand. If just one tree it's difficult to see how it could be a fire hazard. If it's one in a stand then they are all fire hazards so have your neighbours received similar notices.

I'd question the Councils authority to issue such a notice, at least I would if I lived in the UK.

The best management to reduce the risk of fire in eucalyptus stands is to clear up the debris on the ground. If it's one tree it shouldn't be too onerous. If it's a 1000 hectares of eucalyptus............

TO
TO

Postby despair » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:36 pm

South Africa planted forests of Eucalyptus and when last there we were told they are ruing the day because they are causing intense water extraction problems etc

No doubt TO will know more about the problems they have caused in South Africa

Certainly Some Eucalyptus roots have given rise to plenty of concern in the UK
despair

Postby sidney9966 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:09 pm

i am based in the UK and it is one beautiful tree trunk with 3 high 10ft and above branches off it.
sidney9966

Postby TO » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:51 pm

Hi

sidney9966 wrote:i am based in the UK
In which case then I'd challenge the authority of the Council to issue such a notice, from which piece of legislation do their powers arise, are their actions proportionate to the risk and the cost of making that risk acceptable. I'd also ask them how many incidents there have been, not just in their area, but nationally of individual eucalyptus trees catching fire and causing a problem, how many similar notices they've served, and if they've served them on every property owner who has a eucalyptus in their garden, if not why not and what makes your eucalyptus a risk.

Unless there's more to this than I'm aware of it sounds stupid.

TO
TO

Postby ukmicky » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:30 pm

I would definitely challenge this.

Is it actually from the council, could you neighbour or someone have sent it making it look like a letter from the council. Its very easy to fake things these days.

Ring the council switchboard and get them to put you through to the appropriate department and check on the name of the person who supposedly sent it.
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
ukmicky

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Trees