Boundary sycamore

Boundary sycamore

Postby cornishgal » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:33 pm

I'm brand new to this forum and need some advice! We've recently bought a property for renovation which according to the deeds, all the boundaries belong to us. At the rear of the property we have a small untidy courtyard style area which is dominated by a horrifically messy 7m high sycamore in one corner. Also on that corner is a telegraph pole which feeds our property and neighbouring homes with power and the sycamore was caught up in the cables. The courtyard backs onto the front garden of our neighbours behind us. We're not living in the house whilst we get on with renovation so have yet to establish a firm relationship with the neighbours behind us, although we do live within 5 mins walk and visit the house daily. Soon after we moved in, our neighbours behind us told us that they thought it would be a shame to remove the sycamore as it added a pleasing aspect in their view from their garden. Now, the problem we have is not only the mess the sycamore causes in our small garden, the lack of light, constantly clogged gutters etc but also the fact that we recently had a fully qualified tree surgeon chop down another sycamore that was on our land in the same courtyard. We suspect that the neighbours weren't too happy about it and so feel as though we're merrily trying to chop down anything that grows. We told them that for safety's sake we were going to lop the remaining sycamore in the corner so that it was 2m clear of the cables, which last week we did. Despite them asking what we were intending to do with the wood (we don't have a wood burner yet, but they do and so assumed we'd offer it to them - the cheek!), they still complained that we'd lopped it too far. What I'd really like to do is get rid of the blimmin thing completely, but with the boundary only marked by a narrow fence and the sycamore in question straddling it at the end of the fence between the two plots, I'm not sure whether this is feasible. Help!
cornishgal

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Boundary sycamore

Postby MacadamB53 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:50 pm

Hi cornishgal,

I'm in no sense an expert on these kind of matters and I'm sure some more helpful folk will pick up your post in good time.

In the meantime, I'd suggest you consider the following (I know I would):

1. Check with your local authority whether the tree is protected
2. Establish the potential consequences if you took action - could it be costly if someone with authority decides you shouldn't have (maybe), no chance of friendship with neighbour (maybe)
3. What would the view/noise/exposure be without the tree?
4. Get professional advice on the matter

Then make a decision....

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby Treeman » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:45 pm

STOP

Trees near power lines need particular precautions and aren't for the average jobbing tree surgeon.

There are precautions that need to be taken, there is even a suite of mandatory qualifications for trees and power cables

Contact the utility company in the first instance, you might find you get it cut for free
Treeman

Postby MacadamB53 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:19 pm

Hi Treeman,

I know I'm not the OP, but is there any chance you could direct me towards a good source of info on what you've mentioned - I happen to own part of a lengthy mature hedgerow with cables running in parallel and above it (poles are in the hedge).

Someday soon the part I don't own (which isn't maintained by it's negligent and faraway owner) is going to engulf the lines so if the utilities can sort it...

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby Treeman » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:47 pm

MacadamB53 wrote:Hi Treeman,

I know I'm not the OP, but is there any chance you could direct me towards a good source of info on what you've mentioned - I happen to own part of a lengthy mature hedgerow with cables running in parallel and above it (poles are in the hedge).

Someday soon the part I don't own (which isn't maintained by it's negligent and faraway owner) is going to engulf the lines so if the utilities can sort it...

Kind regards, Mac

The utility company is a statutory provider and as such has the right to enter the land and cut the vegetation if a negotiated agreement cant be reached.

They will survey the line and the surveyor (or a permissioner) will get an agreement on the required works with the land owner.

The work is then taken in hand by contractors on behalf of the utility company.

In the first instance you should speak to the network operator.

I don't know what you have in mind about "maintenance" but the network operator is entitled to a 2m window around the conductors, if they cant get an agreement for anything else its likely that's what they will do.
Treeman

Postby MacadamB53 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:01 pm

Apologies cornishgal for going off-topic,

Treeman,

Last bit of info on this I promise :)

Can they carry out any such work without consent from the owner? (my neighbour has moved several times without updating HMLR since inheriting the land which itself has no postal address)

Mac
MacadamB53

Return to Trees