Council Tree Overhang

Council Tree Overhang

Postby Bobg » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:50 pm

Is it usual for trees planted by councils near the road side to have TPO's on them?
The tree in question is probably a beech tree, about house height, with several of its branches overhanging the garden and each year deposits its leaves. The preference is to cut the overhanging branches back to the boundary. The tree is not in a conservation area.
What would be the best strategy ? If it doesn't have a TPO on - the council may decide to put one on if I query them about it to prevent branches being removed.
A neighbour did cutback one branch some years back so they could get their caravan onto their land.
However I would prefer not to risk a fine.
Any advice please
Bobg
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:02 pm

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.
 

Re: Council Tree Overhang

Postby cobdale » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:22 pm

I don't know if having a tpo stops trimming ,or just stops you felling them,but if the only nuisance is leaves falling ,I would be surprised if this justified lopping the branches,
cobdale
 
Posts: 355
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:19 pm

Re: Council Tree Overhang

Postby TO » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:24 pm

Hi

It's not usual for Councils to TPO their own trees, but they can so beware.
Call the Council and ask them. If no TPO just get on with it.
Why would the Council/Tree Officer rush around to TPO a tree on the basis of an enquiry as to whether or not it's protected. If we did that our feet would never touch the ground and more important things wouldn't get done.

cobdale wrote:I don't know if having a tpo stops trimming ,or just stops you felling them
Both.

TO
TO
 
Posts: 639
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:05 pm

Re: Council Tree Overhang

Postby Treeman » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:30 am

TO wrote:Hi

It's not usual for Councils to TPO their own trees, but they can so beware.
Call the Council and ask them. If no TPO just get on with it.
Why would the Council/Tree Officer rush around to TPO a tree on the basis of an enquiry as to whether or not it's protected. If we did that our feet would never touch the ground and more important things wouldn't get done.




It has been my experience with a couple of authorities that they use TPO enquiries as an opportunity to view the property with a view to making an order.

I challenged one TO about this practice and he was of the opinion that it didn't matter how they discovered the tree was under threat. Its a PITA but I check that authority's register rather than giving then the heads up.
Treeman
 
Posts: 3993
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:02 am

Re: Council Tree Overhang

Postby TO » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:54 pm

Hi

TO wrote:It has been my experience with a couple of authorities that they use TPO enquiries as an opportunity to view the property with a view to making an order.
And in the other 324?
TO
 
Posts: 639
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:05 pm

Re: Council Tree Overhang

Postby Treeman » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:17 pm

TO wrote:Hi

treeman wrote:It has been my experience with a couple of authorities that they use TPO enquiries as an opportunity to view the property with a view to making an order.
And in the other 324?


Well I cant speak to the entire volume but the 2 in question are 2 of the 5 that I deal with on a regular basis, now that's a piss poor statistical sample but..........

Fixed your tags BTW
Treeman
 
Posts: 3993
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:02 am


Return to Trees

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 4 guests