Neighbour chopping down huge tree and we don't want them to.

Neighbour chopping down huge tree and we don't want them to.

Postby shoppingnoodles » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:46 pm

Hello there.

I am new to the site and would be very grateful for some advice please.

The house next door to ours is owned by 2 brothers, who inherited it from an Aunt. They rent it out and recently their longstanding tenant moved out. They are taking the opportunity to carry out a major renovation of the house before re renting.

We have quite large gardens, around 150 long and at the bottom of their garden is an absolutely enormous evergreen tree. I'm not sure what type of tree it is exactly, but it is approximately 60 feet tall and 35 feet across. Today they told us that another neighbour had asked them to cut it back a bit as it is blocking light to the end of their garden, but they have decided to cut it down completely. They have taken this decision so that they save money on future maintenance.

We are absolutely devastated. All of our family love that tree, as it supports literally hundreds of species of animal and we often sit watching the amazing variety of life that uses it as home. We often see bats in the summer evenings and we believe that they may live in the tree too. At Our homes are within 400 metres of an Site Of Special Scientific Interest and we have to have special consideration with planning applications and such. Unfortunately, this tree does not have a TPO, but I wonder if anyone knows if the fact that it is in the SSRI zone would mean that they have to seek any special survey or permission?

We have asked them to please not cut it down completely and just to reduce it, but I think it fell on deaf ears. They have told us that they have booked a tree surgeon on Wednesday and Thursday to do the deed. First thing tomorrow we will be speaking to our local Council to see if they can help, but we would be so grateful if anyone could advise us if there is any other action we can take?
shoppingnoodles

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Neighbour chopping down huge tree and we don't want them

Postby Geometer » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:54 pm

If you have good reason to believe the tree supports a bat roost/nursery/hibernaculum, then contact your local Wildlife Trust immediately. It is illegal to disturb any of these, either knowingly or "recklessly", and your local WT will be able to advise you.
Geometer

Postby MacadamB53 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:29 am

Geometer wrote:If you have good reason to believe the tree supports a bat roost/nursery/hibernaculum, then contact your local Wildlife Trust immediately. It is illegal to disturb any of these, either knowingly or "recklessly", and your local WT will be able to advise you.

Might be worth sharing this info with the neighbours as it's likely they're ignorant about this.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby shoppingnoodles » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:40 am

Thank you Geometer and Mac. I will call the Wildlife Trust tomorrow and you have a very good point that the landlords probably have no idea that there may be bats in the tree. We aren't 100 percent sure that's where they roost, but we see them whizzing around close to it and at the top of our garden, so it seems a reasonable assumption. I hope we are right, as it might just save the tree. Keep your fingers crossed for us.
shoppingnoodles

Postby Treeman » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:55 am

shoppingnoodles wrote:Thank you Geometer and Mac. I will call the Wildlife Trust tomorrow and you have a very good point that the landlords probably have no idea that there may be bats in the tree. We aren't 100 percent sure that's where they roost, but we see them whizzing around close to it and at the top of our garden, so it seems a reasonable assumption. I hope we are right, as it might just save the tree. Keep your fingers crossed for us.

Don't pin your hopes on it.
Treeman

Postby MacadamB53 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:59 am

Hi shoppingnoodles,

I think certain professionals - arboriculturist being one - can be granted a licence which means they are exempt.

WT will know for sure.

Kind regards, Mac
edit: Treeman ought to know
MacadamB53

Postby arsie » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:14 am

I am a complete amateur but I thought bats live in barns not trees? If there are bats you cannot carry out any development changes to buildings as the scientists cannot figure out what makes bats tick or what they need so a total ban on change is all they can do for this endangered species? (This all without googling etc so I am prepared to be shot down by Internet jocks!)

Surely the first port of call is your local council tree officer to save the tree/slap a TPO on it?
arsie

Postby mugwump » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:49 am

I think the bats are around the tree due to the myriad of insects that will be there and it is easy picking for their food.

Bats prefer indoor type areas for roosting, the only time they would probably roost in trees is if they are dead and they use the hollow trunk
mugwump

Postby COGGY » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:06 am

Bats can live in houses. My dad once had bats living in his loft in a fairly modern house. Someone from British Gas thought it might be mice or rats, a Council rep came and declared it to be bats. Eventually they moved on.

Kind regards

Coggy
COGGY

Postby Geometer » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:12 pm

Bats will use cavities in trees as roosts, nurseries or hibernacula, depending on the species and the time of year. The trees don't have to be dead, they'll often use old woodpecker nest holes.
Geometer

Postby shoppingnoodles » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:57 pm

I had already done some reading about bats last summer when they were flying about. Apparently bats in the UK do often roost in trees now - I guess they have perhaps adapted to their available environment?

I suspect we may be about to lose the battle though. I called the council who were great and the tree officer said she would drive up to look today to see if there was anything she could do. So having been at work all day I was not at all happy when I pulled into the drive and saw that masses of the tree had already been cut back today. The front branches have been cut back to the trunk, leaving the very high parts at the back unprotected from the wind and swaying around wildly. I would imagine they will be hacking the rest down tomorrow.

We are very fair people and it has made this much worse as these horrible, greedy people have just bulldozed on, despite the fact they knew it would upset us. Its times like this you pray for Karma.
shoppingnoodles

Postby MacadamB53 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:27 pm

Hi shoppingnoodles,

Its times like this you pray for Karma.

I know you're upset that your neighbour wants to get rid of their tree from their property, but you made me smile with the above comment.

Don't forget your other neighbour who is seeing the shadow removed. I bet they're not upset.

Why not plant a tree of your own in memory of the one you got to look at.

Kind regards, Mac
PS It is highly likely trees once stood on the ground where your house stands today.
MacadamB53

Postby Treeman » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:39 pm

shoppingnoodles wrote:I had already done some reading about bats last summer when they were flying about. Apparently bats in the UK do often roost in trees now - I guess they have perhaps adapted to their available environment?

I suspect we may be about to lose the battle though. I called the council who were great and the tree officer said she would drive up to look today to see if there was anything she could do. So having been at work all day I was not at all happy when I pulled into the drive and saw that masses of the tree had already been cut back today. The front branches have been cut back to the trunk, leaving the very high parts at the back unprotected from the wind and swaying around wildly. I would imagine they will be hacking the rest down tomorrow.

We are very fair people and it has made this much worse as these horrible, greedy people have just bulldozed on, despite the fact they knew it would upset us. Its times like this you pray for Karma.

One could argue that expecting someone to keep a tree because you like it is anything but fair. Indeed for the shade affected neighbours they are acting more than fairly. Just because it isn't what you want doesn't make it wrong.

They are renovating an important asset and I don't see how they can be called greedy for that, would you rather they let it rot? go down market perhaps and end up derelict and a drug addicts squat?

As far as Karma goes, I am sure the good from the other neighbour will balance and malice you bear, yin yang and all that tripe.
Treeman

Postby TO » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:42 am

Hi

Treeman, I couldn't agree more. I would add that if shoppingnoodles wants the benefits of a tree at the bottom of their garden they plant one of their own instead of relying on someone elses.

TO
TO

Postby MacadamB53 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:15 am

Hi TO & Treeman,

As a non-expert, unqualified layperson it is reassuring to see my amateur opinion tallies with both of yours.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Trees