Tree too close to Boundary

Tree too close to Boundary

Postby Schmoo » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:23 pm

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could advise me on a tree that is growing in my neighbours garden.

I have a conservatory with one brick wall which is forms the border with my neighbour. There is a silver birch tree that is growing on my neighbours side of the wall. It is extremely close to my wall and if I’m honest the trunk is less than a foot away from the wall and the lower branches are now over hanging and are on the roof of my conservatory.

I have asked them to cut the lower branches back so they aren’t on the roof, due to the depth of my conservatory I’m unable to gain access to do this, although I have said that I would be happy to help them do it. I asked 10 days ago and as of yet they haven't touched them.

The tree isn’t very old and my neighbour admitted that in the high winds earlier in the year the tree was swaying so much it actually damaged their guttering and brought it down. Because of this, my concern is that as the tree matures and is so close to my conservatory wall how much damage could happen and who will be responsible financially for this.

They haven’t lived there very long and to be honest I’m surprised it wasn’t suggested in their survey to have the tree removed as it could damage both theirs and my property.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks.
Schmoo

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Tree too close to Boundary

Postby COGGY » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:55 pm

Hi

I
COGGY

Re: Tree too close to Boundary

Postby MacadamB53 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:57 pm

Hi Schmoo,

Because of this, my concern is that as the tree matures and is so close to my conservatory wall how much damage could happen and who will be responsible financially for this.

the tree owner is liable if the damage was reasonably foreseeable.

All my non-expert, unqualified understanding.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Return to Trees