Willow trees through drains

Willow trees through drains

Postby Lenmar » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:21 am

Hi,

Am new here so firstly hello all.

Question is this, my neighbour has a willow tree directly over the sewer pipe which runs across his garden. He has not lived there for 2 years now, long story, and hence the garden complete with willow tree is in a right state. My concern is the roots must be very close if not already into the sewer. Anything I can do?
Lenmar

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Willow trees through drains

Postby APC » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:34 am

Is the sewage pipe plastic or clay?
APC

Postby Lenmar » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:54 am

Sewer is all clay.
Lenmar

Postby APC » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:39 am

With clay pipes, roots may exploit existing cracks or joins, causing blockages. Where there is condensation along the edges, they will also exploit that, growing along it. In some cases, where roots are growing around a clay pipe, leverage from the crown swaying in the wind can sometimes crack the pipes. You can pretty much avoid any of this happening by installing a plastic liner to the existing clay pipe.
APC

Postby Lenmar » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:50 am

But why should I have that expense when everything would be ok if it wasn't for my neighbour allowing a rogue willow tree cause damage. Would his insurers cover such damage?
Lenmar

Postby APC » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:18 am

His insurance company would cover damage to his property.

Does the pipe run under your property at all? (I'm guessing your property feeds into it, hence your concerns?)

What makes you think the willow is causing damage?

How far away is the willow to the pipe?
APC

Postby Lenmar » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:42 am

If am honest I think the willow was put there deliberately after a neighbourly dispute in the 80's knowing the potential damage it could do. I've been here nearly six years and am just waiting for the day my drains back up. The chap who owns next door was left it by his father four or so years ago, and doesn't live there. I'm in the construction trade so know enough about the mechanics of it, it's just where I stand legally when problems arise.

What can I do if the place isn't insured?
Lenmar

Postby MacadamB53 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:08 pm

Hi Lenmar,

I've been here nearly six years and am just waiting for the day my drains back up.

and have you made your neighbour aware of the above and what action you'll take when/if it happens?

if not then you're playing a sticky wicket IMHO.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby Lenmar » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:58 pm

Thanks for reply Mac,

Unfortunately this is the same blessed tree which is leaning heavily on the fence as in one of my other posts. Talking to him about any of this is not an option. I council have been fair and are desperately trying to get some dialogue going with him in an attempt to remedy this situation as I have started proceeding along the Empty House Policy.

I may need to sell this place to raise funds for a selfbuild in the garden on the other side of me and could do without these seemingly insignificant issues preventing a sale.

Regards
Lenmar

Postby ukmicky » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:47 pm

Lenmar wrote:Thanks for reply Mac,

Unfortunately this is the same blessed tree which is leaning heavily on the fence as in one of my other posts. Talking to him about any of this is not an option. I council have been fair and are desperately trying to get some dialogue going with him in an attempt to remedy this situation as I have started proceeding along the Empty House Policy.

I may need to sell this place to raise funds for a selfbuild in the garden on the other side of me and could do without these seemingly insignificant issues preventing a sale.

Regards

Unfortuanatly if the roots do cause damage your neighbour is not liable for any damage unless you can show he knew or should have know the roots were causing damage. You may think the tree being there makes it obvious that damage will be caused at sometime in the future which he should have been aware of but the law dosent work like that and the law will not adopt such a presumption.
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
ukmicky

Postby zaax » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:11 pm

Is this a public sewer, if so talk to your water authority
I know nothing about the law.
zaax

Postby jdfi » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:51 am

How frequently does the son actually go there?
jdfi

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Trees