How to kill a Holly Tree

Re: How to kill a Holly Tree

Postby Treeman » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:54 pm

despair wrote:more money than sense then

that's hardly a big tree and w2ould not take much effort to remove

You always were known for your charitable disposition

Dug many stumps out have you?
Treeman

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby Roblewis » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:11 pm

For hobbyist wood turners and greenwood carvers the wood is a precious commodity. I recently rescued a pear tree and an ash tree all sawn to 3ft lengths ready to go to the shredder. Sheer waste it would have been. Waiting for the cherry tree next. Hardwoods generally have a market value even on ebay.
Roblewis

Postby despair » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:23 pm

Wish i had known holly wood was welcomed by wood turners

will keep eyes open for cherrywood for you

have you made friends with a few tree surgeons some of them are happy to give you the wood
despair

Postby COGGY » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:38 pm

Yes we had a silver birch tree chopped down a few years ago. The firm were happy to saw it up for a friend who has a wood burner. It saved them transporting away. Incidentally they did not deal with the stump and we were not expecting them to. They left it and it did not grow.

Several years before my husband cut down a tree in the front garden. The whole garden was covered with branches etc. A chap stopped and asked if he could have some of it to use. We said he could if he took it all. He returned with a van and took the lot so we were pleased and so was he.

Regards
Coggy
COGGY

Postby Treeman » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:35 am

despair wrote:Wish i had known holly wood was welcomed by wood turners

will keep eyes open for cherrywood for you

have you made friends with a few tree surgeons some of them are happy to give you the wood

Now I seem to remember, not so long ago you saying they were all greedy and took the wood away to sell it for extra profit :?
Treeman

Postby Treeman » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:39 am

Roblewis wrote:For hobbyist wood turners and greenwood carvers the wood is a precious commodity. I recently rescued a pear tree and an ash tree all sawn to 3ft lengths ready to go to the shredder. Sheer waste it would have been. Waiting for the cherry tree next. Hardwoods generally have a market value even on ebay.

Its a question of expedience, the timber has a value but hobbyists simply don't want to pay, they regard the timber as waste and want it cut to size for nothing more than a grunted thanks, its less work to put it in the chipper and move on to the next earning job.

If you want free timber start the conversation with, "can I get you lads a cup of tea" and go on from there :lol:
Treeman

Postby despair » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:33 am

some tree surgeons do make money from selling the real wood from big trees

but I also now know 1 who is only too happy to drop chunks of a felled tree off to those with wood burning stoves if he is passing their door
despair

Postby arborlad » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:10 pm

despair wrote:some tree surgeons do make money from selling the real wood from big trees

Of course we do, it's called being in business, you will have done the same with any by-product from your business.

You keep trotting out this same old cracked record - please stop!
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby despair » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:58 pm

Nope

any by products from my business were turned into items for charity
despair

Postby Treeman » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:35 pm

despair wrote:Nope

any by products from my business were turned into items for charity

What you don't seem to get is that the value of the timber is priced into the job as a discount that allows the contractor to be competitive.

Today I gave away about 10 tons of first rate firewood timber. The guy collected it promptly and left the lads a drink. Even though it was priced in, its gone now and instead of shifting low profit firewood tomorrow we are on high profit tree cutting.
Treeman

Postby Roblewis » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:56 pm

Treeman

When you have to pay some sizeable wads of cash for hard woods suitable for such as modelling work and other timber based hobbies I am often prepared to pay sensible money for suitable woods. Oak though is way out of my pocket even then and it is rubbish for period model boat work :D 8)
Roblewis

Postby Mojisola » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:36 am

Treeman wrote:
Mojisola wrote:Cut the stump to about 4ft, dig round the base and expose the roots, cut through them, remove stump.

Then stand looking at it wondering WTF you are going to do with this great horrid lump of root and soil.

Some of ours went into the chicken run to give them places to sit and preen and roost; others went to the recycling centre.
Mojisola

Postby arborlad » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:44 pm

Roblewis wrote: Oak though is way out of my pocket even then and it is rubbish for period model boat work :D 8)

Might be worth contacting some fencers, old oak posts are still around and have some superb timber.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby Roblewis » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:42 pm

Oak IS actually rubbish for building period ships as it is too hard to work and the grain too large and visible. Lime is by far the best but supply is short of decent logs. I am lucky to have an amateur woodturner to hand with an extensive array of powered saws to do the conversion of the logs :D - we share the problems of drying the timber. :( He also nicks some for pens and various nick nacks but one can only deal with so much treen as a gift :D
Roblewis

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Previous

Return to Trees