TPO on some trees that I can't find in my garden

TPO on some trees that I can't find in my garden

Postby Corhenry » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:28 pm

Hi everyone,

We bought our house 18 months ago and the TPO we got with the house says that there are 5 Sycamores with a TPO. We've recently started cutting back the (frankly very overgrown) Holly, Yew and Beech trees that surround the part of the garden where these Sycamores are supposed to be but we can't find them anywhere.

Where would we stand with the council on this? After all the sycamores aren't there and there are no stumps to suggest that they've recently been cut down. I'm concerned that if the council every came on to our land they could accuse us of having cut them down. We tried to take as many before and after pictures as possible but also fear that this won't be conclusive.

Many thanks in advance,

Corhenry
Corhenry

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: TPO on some trees that I can't find in my garden

Postby Treeman » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:27 pm

Corhenry wrote:Hi everyone,

We bought our house 18 months ago and the TPO we got with the house says that there are 5 Sycamores with a TPO. We've recently started cutting back the (frankly very overgrown) Holly, Yew and Beech trees that surround the part of the garden where these Sycamores are supposed to be but we can't find them anywhere.

Where would we stand with the council on this? After all the sycamores aren't there and there are no stumps to suggest that they've recently been cut down. I'm concerned that if the council every came on to our land they could accuse us of having cut them down. We tried to take as many before and after pictures as possible but also fear that this won't be conclusive.

Many thanks in advance,

Corhenry

They would have to prove that you had cut them down

It is quite possible that the trees were legitimately removed with consent under the order
Treeman

Postby Corhenry » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:18 pm

Thanks for your help on this. It's a good point and it would be difficult for them to prove.

Thanks again.
Corhenry

Postby arborlad » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:51 pm

Most councils have their TPOs online, this can be searched for your particular one, which should be accompanied by a plan.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby Corhenry » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:00 pm

Thanks Aborlad - a useful point. We do have the plan that was supplied when we bought the house. It's quite clear on there that there are protected sycamores and where they should be along our boundary. If they can't be bothered to check the trees they've protected then that's their problem I suppose!
Corhenry

Postby COGGY » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:35 pm

Hi
Could you take photos of the relevant areas in your garden, showing that there are no trees there, maybe with a copy of a dated newspaper to show when you took the photos. Failing that, you could always contact the Council. If there are no trees and no evidence of trees recently been cut down then you are in the clear. Peace of mind. Life is too short to worry about stuff like that.

Kind regards
Coggy
COGGY

Postby snyggapa » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:49 pm

overhead dated images like you can get from the google earth application, may help you prove when they were removed, if you can identify them from above. In earth you have a slider to drag the images back in time and I think it shows you the date taken also

-Steve
snyggapa

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Trees