Ash Tree Stumps

Ash Tree Stumps

Postby Gee2 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:22 am

Hi everyone,

I wonder if you can give me some advice.

Around 7 years ago, our insurers arboculturists identified a few Ash trees alongside our home causing subsidence. The council were informed and cut down the trees. They left 1 meter (approx) stumps behind. These stumps keep generating shoots and each year I have to call the council and they send they contractors to cut these new shoots.

We are concerned that these will cause subsidence again if left to grow. I have asked for these stumps to be removed, and ground down and/or treated with suitable herbicide as recommended by the arboculturist. The council said they are unable to do that due to the location of the stumps (on a steep slope).

I found this a bit strange as they have already cut the tree using a chainsaw so why can't they cut it down to the ground (instead of leaving stumps) and apply herbicide so that new shoots do not grow again ? I can understand they may not be able to grind it down due to the steep slope. I have also told them that they could access the stumps from my side of the property by taking the fence down which will give them level access and putting the fence back up again.

We are not sure what to do next? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Gee2

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Ash Tree Stumps

Postby arborlad » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:38 pm

Gee2 wrote: They left 1 meter (approx) stumps behind.

Usually when stumps are left high, it's an indication of an intention to return and grind them out - left high so they can be readily found and identified.

Many grinders now come on tracks so they can get almost anywhere.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby MacadamB53 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:10 pm

Hi Gee2,

don't suppose you've offered to pay for this non-essential work you want doing?

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby arborlad » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:22 am

MacadamB53 wrote:Hi Gee2,

Kind regards, Mac

Not sure how essential you would see the work if it was your property that was subsiding, but if an offer to fund or part fund the works will move it forward - it's worth trying.
arborlad

arborlad

Postby MacadamB53 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:44 am

MacadamB53 wrote:Hi Gee2,

Kind regards, Mac

non-essential to the council at the moment...
MacadamB53

Postby Gee2 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:29 pm

The latest is that the council say the stumps will not be ground out and due to the original wire fence being intertwined in them, the stumps can not be taken down any further.

Surely there must be other ways of killing the stumps so that they do not grow again? eg drilling holes and using an effective herbicide?

Also, legally are they not required to remove them (by any means) as they have been proven to cause subsidence?
Gee2

Postby ukmicky » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:21 pm

Gee2 wrote:The latest is that the council say the stumps will not be ground out and due to the original wire fence being intertwined in them, the stumps can not be taken down any further.

Surely there must be other ways of killing the stumps so that they do not grow again? eg drilling holes and using an effective herbicide?

Also, legally are they not required to remove them (by any means) as they have been proven to cause subsidence?

No

The council do not have to remove the stumps , the council do not have to prevent re growth , the only legal obligation they had was to stop the actionable nuisance.

They could have in theory stopped the nuisance from continuing in a number of ways and not all of them meant the trees had to go or even be reduced to stumps.

However they decided the cheapest way was to cut them down to stumps and by removing most growth they have greatly reduced their need the spread their roots further and remove water from the ground to the level that they would now no longer be causing a nuisance to the level of it being actionable in court .

They are no longer under any obligation to do anything and can leave the stumps if they wish and also let them send up new shoots as the growth of a few new shoots every now and again will not be enough to cause damage to your propety.

If the new shoots were to grow into something substantial in the future and the new growth was to cause new subsidance to your property as the previous nuisance was halted it would be a totally new case requiring new evidence.
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
ukmicky

Postby ukmicky » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:10 pm

I apologise for the typos in previous post
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
ukmicky

Postby Gee2 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:17 pm

Thanks for the information ukmicky.
Did not realise this was the case.

Appreciate your help in clarifying the issue.
Gee2

Postby arborlad » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:42 pm

Gee2 wrote:Hi everyone,

I wonder if you can give me some advice.

Around 7 years ago, our insurers arboculturists identified a few Ash trees alongside our home causing subsidence.

Has the subsidence continued, is it still being monitored?

Gee2 wrote:The latest is that the council say the stumps will not be ground out and due to the original wire fence being intertwined in them, the stumps can not be taken down any further.

The presence of the wire is not a bar to any work, just a complication, most treeworkers keep a couple of end of life chains for just this purpose.

There are herbicides that are suitable, some only available to licenced users, usually involves girdling the stump with a hatchet to expose live tissue and applying the herbicide to that.

How many stumps are there, what size are they?............they may be suitable for winching if there is a suitable anchor point.

If these stumps are causing an ongoing nuisance, it might be better to employ your own contractor to carry out the work.
arborlad

arborlad

Postby Gee2 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:53 am

Hi Arborlad,

Thank you for your comments:

When the Ash trees were cut down over 7 years ago, we thought that it would resolve the issue. Since the stems have been regrowing on the stumps I noticed a few cracks appear again last year so called the council who have now cut down the stems (but not the stumps). I think if left subsidence would have occured again.

I am creating a fuss because the part of our house that is mostly affected is the disabled facility (extension) which is used by my wife. She is severely disabled due to a stroke at a very young age. It also affects the utility room which houses the boiler. We have had a gas leak and a also a water leak from the affected pipes. Therefore we are very anxious at these regrowing stumps. It was a nightmare re-arranging care, etc to have the work done when it initially occured.

There are around 6 stumps approximately 5 to 6 feet high and about a 18 to 20 inches wide (so quite large). What would it cost to have these removed independently? It will involve working on council trees/land, will this be allowed?

You mention that "the presence of the wire is not a bar to any work, just a complication, most treeworkers keep a couple of end of life chains for just this purpose." What is this practice called ? Is it done on young trees and left there ? Is it normal practice?

I am also surprised that they have not used herbicides. I have mention this to them a few times now.

Thank you for comments and appreciate your assistance. I am learning all the time.

Kind Regards,
Gee2
Gee2

Postby MacadamB53 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:13 am

Hi Gee2,

I think the best solution for finding out how much it would likely cost is to get some quotes - I'd talk to the council to see if they can recommended any contractors (using one of these will help as they'll have an established rapport with the relevant council personnel).

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Trees