could i crop down all the trees in my rear garden?

could i crop down all the trees in my rear garden?

Postby pasta26 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:24 pm

Dear fellow members,

i just bought and moved in my house several months ago.
my house has a big rear garden.
but the previous owner has a special taste and like very "nature" garden (full of trees and plants), which didnt suit my style and i would like to remove all of them.
slowly, after months of hardwork, i removed all the small plants, and now i would like to crop down the trees also.
the height of the trees are vary from 2 meters to 5 meters. not very height and i can handle to crop them down myself.

but my colleague reminded me that some of the tree could be protected and i cannot crop them down.
i know in Australia, they have this rule to protect certain plants.
i tried to search the google regarding any specific tree are protected from cropping down in UK, but unfortunately i cannot find any.

my location is at Staffordshire.

could the members here advise what tree are protected?
who should i consult on this matter?
could i crop down the tree since all of them are in my rear garden?

many thanks.
pasta26

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: could i crop down all the trees in my rear garden?

Postby span » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:32 pm

"Tree Protection Order" - Google is your friend.
span

Postby cleo5 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:00 pm

Local Planning Office is the one to contact re TPO but why would your garden trees be protected?
Are they special in some way or do you live in a conservation area?
Chop down what you like in your own garden but before you do identify what they are. There might be a walnut or a tulip tree or some highly prized specimen among them worth keeping and remember trees provide shade in summer and attract birds and other wildlife and tree pollens are good for bees. etc beside being good for the enviroment.
cleo5

Postby despair » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:32 pm

Why buy a house with a garden if you remove all the small plants and now are removing all the trees and shrubs ?

You should have bought a house in a desert
despair

Postby MacadamB53 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:43 am

Hi pasta,

some people are prepared to pay large sums of money (£000s) for mature trees - depending on the species.

you could make yourself a heap if you sell some rather than chop them down...

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby raymilland » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:53 am

You should be able to view your property via your council's online planning facility. This will show if your property is within a conservation area or whether any TPOs are in place. If either apply then you should seek advice from the planning department.
raymilland

Postby arborlad » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:52 am

raymilland wrote:You should be able to view your property via your council's online planning facility. This will show if your property is within a conservation area or whether any TPOs are in place. If either apply then you should seek advice from the planning department.

+1
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Trees