Oak tree adjacent to house

Oak tree adjacent to house

Postby richlatham » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:59 pm

Hi
We have lived in our house from new since 1993. Adjacent to us there is some "Public Open Space" - still "maintained" by the builder as it's not been handed over to the council. Over the wall are bushes and trees, including an Oak that is about 2 metres from the boundary wall, and 3 metres from our house. The tree was planted by the builders in 1993 and is now quite tall - the height of the house. Some high branches overhand our house. I'm concerned that the roots will cause damage. I've been told I can prune back what's overhanging, but it's impossible to get to. What options do I have?
richlatham

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Oak tree adjacent to house

Postby MacadamB53 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:36 pm

Hi rich,

why is it impossible?

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby richlatham » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:10 am

Hi mac
When I say impossible, I mean "impossible" for me :)
There's a boundary wasll that they overhang, but they're high up and I can't see how I could just cut the bits that overhang. I could however cut back some branches by putting a ladder up the tree and cutting them off from the trunk, but this would mean cutting more back than is overhanging.
Cheers
Rich
richlatham

Postby arborlad » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:40 am

richlatham wrote:Hi
We have lived in our house from new since 1993. Adjacent to us there is some "Public Open Space" - still "maintained" by the builder as it's not been handed over to the council. Over the wall are bushes and trees, including an Oak that is about 2 metres from the boundary wall, and 3 metres from our house. The tree was planted by the builders in 1993 and is now quite tall - the height of the house. Some high branches overhand our house. I'm concerned that the roots will cause damage. I've been told I can prune back what's overhanging, but it's impossible to get to. What options do I have?

Get a local tree surgeon to have a look, they will know whether you are in a Conservation Area or the likelihood of there being a Tree Preservation Order, they should also be able to assess whether there is any root damage, or the potential for it.

Common law rights to cut back to the boundary and best arboreal practice, to remove a branch or cut back to a branch collar are usually in conflict here, again your tree surgeon should be able to advise.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Return to Trees