Sometimes it's just nice to do the "neighbourly" thing

Sometimes it's just nice to do the "neighbourly" thing

Postby clahay » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:07 pm

Hi all

I see a lot of posts on here about neighbours complaining about large trees etc. and just wanted to offer our example.

I posted last year as our 30's bungalow backs on to a cul-de-sac built in the 60s and we border two houses behind and I wasn't sure who owned the current horrible concrete wall (we do btw).

Anyway, also at the end of our garden were 3 incredibly large sycamores. As they are planted along the west facing boundary, they put the houses behind in shade all afternoon/early evening. I couldn't believe no one had complained before if I am honest.

We have been there nearly 2 years and all of a sudden, in Feb of this year, a lady from one of the houses behind knocked to say that the trees were just too high. Subsequently, we found out the person we bought from refused to do anything about it even though the neighbour had offered to pay.

Initially, this got my back up i.e. trees have been there longer than those houses, why all of a sudden bring this up when there is no leaf coverage anyway, loss of privacy etc. But then I really thought about it and thought how unfair it was to take enjoyment away from people.

So, the next weekend we had them lopped right back. The nice thing about it as it actually makes our garden look even bigger, lets more light into ours in morning and now "summer" has arrived, all their windows are blocked out by leaves so we didn't lose any privacy and they get sunlight in their gardens now. The lady was so incredibly grateful.

I just think, before getting into lengthy, nasty battles (often without satisfactory resolution) with your neighbours, sometimes it is just easier to do the right thing by others rather than what you want. I think it is a small sacrifice for a happier life in general.
clahay

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Sometimes it's just nice to do the "neighbourly" thing

Postby despair » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:37 pm

You are totally correct
However sadly some tree owners simply will not and cannot see the problem they are creating for others
the tree they love may have been small 40 years ago but now its huge and its over the affected neighbours garden causing trouble
and tons of leaves every autumn

But the politest of approaches are rebuffed claiming doing anything to the tree will cause it to die

Meanwhile roots are causing trouble nothing grows on the neighbours side and they cant get overhang cut back because tree surgeons
need permission and access via the tree owner

Sadly then it becomes a no win situation except for the cantankerous and often elderly tree hugger
despair

Postby Eliza » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:18 pm

It is refreshing to see someone do the right thing.

Does make a change from some of the posts one sees. :D
Apologies for not giving exact personal details in my posts - you never know who is reading....
Eliza

Postby COGGY » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:03 pm

Eliza said

[quote
It is refreshing to see someone do the right thing.

Does make a change from some of the posts one sees. :D[/quote]

Agreed.
COGGY

Postby arborlad » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:44 pm

clahay wrote:Hi all

I see a lot of posts on here about neighbours complaining about large trees etc. and just wanted to offer our example.

People with problems bring them to this site, trying to gauge the level of those problems by the contents of this site is a bit of a flawed concept.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby clahay » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:53 am

arborlad wrote:

People with problems bring them to this site, trying to gauge the level of those problems by the contents of this site is a bit of a flawed concept.

I just think that sometimes these "problems" aren't really problems at all though. Not in the grand scheme of things. I understand using these boards - they were incredibly helpful when my mum was in a legal battle with her neighbour over boundary/right of way issue (which she won). But some things on here are just so incredibly petty. Why screw your neighbours over and negatively impact your home and sanctuary just for the sake of it? Despite my mum winning, I have always considered it a hollow victory given the amount of worry, stress, anxiety, sleepless nights she had for 3 years over it.
clahay

Postby despair » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:21 pm

I agree too but as i said the gentlest and politest approach to some tree owners gets the suffering neighbour nowhere
despair

Postby Treeman » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:38 pm

arborlad wrote:

Indeed, they come here looking for truth and find the tea and sympathy brigade which raises hopes and reinforces their ideas.

Its such a shame they usually find the crushing blow of truth and reality.
:(
Treeman

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Trees