Neighbour threatening to reduce the height of our trees.

Neighbour threatening to reduce the height of our trees.

Postby appledore » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:57 pm

Hubby and I have been trying to have a peaceful potter in the garden this afternoon, but have been harassed by our neighbour spouting a lot of rubbish and bad language. He's decided our 'hedge' is too high and needs to be reduced in height and there are also some bits overhanging his garden. We've told him it's not in fact a hedge, but a collection of trees. There are silver birch, rowan and a couple of leylandii. They are nowhere near his house. We are trying to block the view of his garden which is an absolute eyesore.
He collects rundown sheds and rubbish.

He said he was going to get his chainsaw this afternoon and chop the tops off and throw them into our garden. We've told him he can cut back to the boundary, but can't reduce the height.

I think we should send him a letter putting him on notice, but hubby thinks it's an idle threat and he's full of hot air.
If he does cut the trees down then it'll be too late and there's nothing we can do about it.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Neighbour threatening to reduce the height of our trees.

Postby despair » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:46 pm

I think it might be prudent to send a letter .....keep a copy
Putting him on notice

That legally he can only cut back branches strictly to the boundary and not one cm more and that under no circumstances whatever can he reduce the height of yours or anyone elses trees or hedge
despair

Postby APC » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:20 pm

Take some photographs of the trees you believe to be at risk in case you have to prove their condition eg. if your neighbour carries out his threat and you attempt to claim any damages in court
APC

Postby appledore » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:41 pm

Thanks for the replies despair and APC. I took a lot of photographs of the trees, when our neighbour was watching. I don't know what he's got against trees. I think he would be happier living in the middle of a car park.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Return to Trees