Willow Tree Height

Willow Tree Height

Postby blackscarrab » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:38 pm

Hi

My neighbour to the rear of my property has an extremely high willow tree in his garden which is now starting block the light in my garden as well as causing the soil to dry out and crack. I have had several occasions were the wind has caused several branches to fall into my garden, whereby I am now afraid to let my grand daughter play in the garden when the wind picks up. I have found out that the property is rented from the council.

Question: Who is responsible for the tree, the long term resident or the Council? And is there a maximum height that the tree is allowed to grow before it is trimmed?
I read somewhere that the roots of the tree can be as long as the width oF the canopy, if this is the case, the roots could be well under the house of my elderly neighbour and a few metres from mine.

Any ideas?

Regards Tony
blackscarrab

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Willow Tree Height

Postby MacadamB53 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:03 pm

Hi Tony,

since we've not had sight of the tenancy agreement we cannot tell you whether it contains a clause obligating the tenant to care for the tree.

that said, I'd recommend you deal with the owner - the council - direct about the matter.

there is no max height or such so they can leave it to grow.

in case you're not aware, you are lawfully entitled to cut back any growth which invades your airspace or land (i.e. branches and/or roots).

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Return to Trees