Trees on side of house

Trees on side of house

Postby Andylau » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:58 pm

Hi,

We have a small path down the side of the house which corresponds to the end of the garden for my neighbour.

The neighbour has planted a laurel on the boundary, he has now added a row of five Ecalpyptus trees some of which are behind the laurel.

- All of theses trees / bushes are 1.7m to the side of my house which has 3 windows on the ground floor and 1 window on the first floor.
- The laurel is 7 meters tall already
- The ecalpyptus trees (gunnii) are supposed to get to 12meters tall and 8 meters wide and are very fast growing.
- Both the laurel and the ecalpyptus are evergreen.

As a first step I am just going to have a friendly chat with the neighbour to see if we can agree something we are both happy with.

I was wondering where I stand legally if he isn't prepared to compromise? The five large trees planted so close to the house worry me as we are in a area with heavy clay soil and ecalpyptus seems to be cause issues with foundations even when planted further away from houses.

I'm aware of the high hedges act, but are there any rules governing neighbours planting large trees so close to houses?

Thanks in advance
Andylau

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Trees on side of house

Postby MacadamB53 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:11 pm

Hi Andylau,

I'm aware of the high hedges act, but are there any rules governing neighbours planting large trees so close to houses?

no.

why would there need to be?

the law would find him liable in the event that damage is caused which is considered to have been foreseeable.

you cannot compel someone not plant the trees "just in case" no matter the likelihood they'll have a hefty damages claim to pay if they do...

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby Collaborate » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:41 am

I'd get a second opinion from a surveyor if I were you. We had until a year or two ago a massive eucalyptus in our garden - I don't think it's a question of "just in case", as Mac suggests. It's more likely a question of when, not if, damage will occur.

At the very least record your concerns in writing. You don't want to be taking action through your insurance company after the event if you can help it.
Collaborate

Postby Andylau » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:15 pm

Thanks for the replies. I agree given the number of trees, their distance from the house, the type of soil, and the type of tree; my concern is that it is a matter of when the damage will happen and not if.

If it gets any further I will definitely get a surveyor to have a look.

As a first step I'm going to have a chat with the neighbor and hope we can all be reasonable.
Andylau

Postby TO » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:27 pm

Collaborate wrote:I'd get a second opinion from a surveyor if I were you. We had until a year or two ago a massive eucalyptus in our garden - I don't think it's a question of "just in case", as Mac suggests. It's more likely a question of when, not if, damage will occur.

At the very least record your concerns in writing. You don't want to be taking action through your insurance company after the event if you can help it.
I'm not too sure what a second opinion from someone, (a surveyor), who would be operating outside their area of expertise would achieve.

There are millions of trees growing in close proximity to millions of houses, and mostly there is no problem. There is an awful lot more to it than tree + property = inevitable damage

You can only take action/make a claim through your insurance company after the event/damage. You cannot take action/make a claim through your insurance company beforehand for damage that hasn't arisen, indeed in all likelihood may never arise.

But it is worth keeping a record of you're meetings and deliberations with the neighbour and copies of correspondence.
TO

Postby despair » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:28 pm

A 7 metre high laurel hedge plus several Eucalyptus trees is either someone hell bent on privacy irrespective or sheer ignorance which seems doubtful
The roots of laurel are bad enough at invading especially if you feed your side of the garden but Eucalyptus are a real horror story
despair

Postby Andylau » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:22 pm

Just to give you all a update, I had very nice chat with the neighbor he didn't really have any idea about the particular problems Eucalyptus trees have with shallow roots and clay soil.

He agreed to remove all the trees, they are all still small so it isn't a big job. He had already arranged to have the laurel hedge trimmed before I contacted him,and this is actually happening tomorrow. He hadn't done it before as he had a death in the family.

I've offered to pay for a gardener to remove the trees for him, and replant them with something less damaging to foundations. I've offered to have it trimmed once a year at the same time my Laurel is trimmed.

So everything is settled, and everyone seems very happy.

Thanks to everyone for all the information.
Andylau

Postby despair » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:35 pm

Thank goodness your neighbour had simply not realised the possible effects of his plantings
despair

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Trees