TPOs, buidling an extension within the 'canopy' area

TPOs, buidling an extension within the 'canopy' area

Postby Andyhhh » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:46 am

Hi Folks,

I'm shortly wanting to exchange on a property that has a 'blanket' TPO, which I hope to build an extension on.

I understand that my local authority (Windsor) forbid any building within the 'root protections areas', whereas many LPAs permit 10/20% of the RPAs to be built within. Windsor is known to be fanatical and very restrictive about preserving trees, being far more stringent than many other LPAs.

I want to build a second story on top of a double garage, but the garage has a small % of the trees canopy of the TPO'd mature oak tree overhanging the existing single story garage.

My question is, am I likely to be given permission to trim a couple of meters off the oak, to permit the second story to be built?

Many thanks in advance
Andyhhh

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: TPOs, buidling an extension within the 'canopy' area

Postby MacadamB53 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:12 pm

Andyhhh wrote:Hi Folks,

I'm shortly wanting to exchange on a property that has a 'blanket' TPO, which I hope to build an extension on.

I understand that my local authority (Windsor) forbid any building within the 'root protections areas', whereas many LPAs permit 10/20% of the RPAs to be built within. Windsor is known to be fanatical and very restrictive about preserving trees, being far more stringent than many other LPAs.

I want to build a second story on top of a double garage, but the garage has a small % of the trees canopy of the TPO'd mature oak tree overhanging the existing single story garage.

My question is, am I likely to be given permission to trim a couple of meters off the oak, to permit the second story to be built?

Many thanks in advance
that is a question for Windsor LPA - not here IMHO.
MacadamB53

Re: TPOs, buidling an extension within the 'canopy' area

Postby TO » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:18 pm

MacadamB53 wrote:that is a question for Windsor LPA - not here IMHO.
It is indeed. You might also ask their building control department about the foundations for the garage. Will they support a second story, or will they need to be deepened which could also impact the tree.

RPA's are not the be all and end all. A pragmatic, justifiable, approach needs to be taken based on the facts and what actually exists. One which recognises that roots may or may not be in a particular place, rather than a dogmatic approach saying no building within the RPA. A view that you can build on 10% or 20% of the RPA defeats the object of the standards. Also, it didn't apply to every tree, just trees with good vigour and vitality. It also harks back to the old standards and doesn't appear in the current ones.
TO

Return to Trees