European Larch

European Larch

Postby BelindaB » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:13 pm

I have a European Larch in my garden, at least I think that's what it is. It looks like a conifer but it's now shedding its needles/leaves after they've turned a lovely golden colour.
Over the years I believe my neighbour has cut the top off the tree and shaped the sides, so it is completely flat on top and there were no branches at the sides. The old owner of my property said the neighbour would do her 'favours' like this, but I think they don't like the tree, even though it's not restricting light. It is tall (about 10ft, but the branches have always been cut off, so we ended up with a tree shaped like a flat-topped lollipop! It's like topiary, and looks stupid)

Since I moved in it has been growing but today I noticed my neighbour has cut their side (which ever so slightly invades their air space), but has also cut around it, so the tree is curved again now and the new growth has been cut off. I'm trying to let it grow yet they're cutting more than they should.
We have already had words about other shrubs on my land that they don't like. I'm trying to avoid talking to them about it because I feel a bit bullied.

Will it recover from being pruned so heavily? Is there anything I can do to help it recover? And how can I approach the neighbour without seeming like I'm as annoyed as I am? :|
BelindaB

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: European Larch

Postby stufe35 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:24 pm

Just confirm to them politely that they are allowed to trim it back to the boundary line and no more, no matter what arrangement they previously had that is now null and void. If people are upset by the truth that is their problem. Most people chunter then accept it...for what else can they do ? It's your tree and your garden. If they want to say what happens in it they should have bought it whilst it was for sale.
stufe35

Return to Trees