ATTENTION! ALL SCOTTISH HEDGE/TREE VICTIMS

Postby despair » Thu May 06, 2010 9:26 pm

2001 to 2010 is 9 years and STILL they have not resolved matters

During which time Leylandi will have grown some 27ft

The HHLaw in the UK is not working and that due for revue in 2010

These MPs are useless beyond useless
despair

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: ATTENTION! ALL SCOTTISH HEDGE/TREE VICTIMS

Postby mazzy » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:48 pm

The full Scothedge Team, with professional legal and arboriculture support, met with civil servants on Friday 18th February 2011 for a major 2Hr conference on the preparation of the vital policy draft to be made available as the basis for legislation this year. The next meeting proposed for late April is likely to bring this phase of negotiations close to conclusion and the provision of the means to launch a Bill shortly after the May elections.

The final contents of a Bill will depend upon the Committee steering the legislation to a vote by MSPs however the preparation by Civil Servants will have a key role in determining the outcome.

In the words of a senior SNP minister:

"The Government is positioning so that action can be taken and quickly."
mazzy

Postby mazzy » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:10 pm

Page 26 of the SNP Manifesto 2011 makes intersting reading!!

"High Hedges
The SNP will also act on an issue that has a severe impact on
a number of people in Scotland. Disputes over high hedges
strain relationships between neighbours and our communities
suffer as a result. In office, we carried out in-depth consultation
on this issue and possible remedies. There was overwhelming
support for a legislative solution, and if re-elected we will act
on this desire and introduce a Bill to provide a legal framework
for settling disputes related to high hedges."
mazzy

Postby TO » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:46 pm

Hi
mazzy wrote:Page 26 of the SNP Manifesto 2011 makes intersting reading!!

"High Hedges
The SNP will also act on an issue that has a severe impact on
a number of people in Scotland. Disputes over high hedges
strain relationships between neighbours and our communities
suffer as a result. In office, we carried out in-depth consultation
on this issue and possible remedies. There was overwhelming
support for a legislative solution, and if re-elected we will act
on this desire and introduce a Bill to provide a legal framework
for settling disputes related to high hedges."
Some people will say anything to get your vote. The only thing politicians are better at than making promises is breaking them.

TO
TO

Postby mazzy » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:30 am

Kenny MacAskill outgoing Justice Minister stated:

Iain Gray Labour Leader stated:
"I agree that the time has now come to introduce legislation to ensure that there are legal remedies in place -"

David McLetchie Senior Conservative MSP wrote:
"I will expect it to be in the first legislative programme of whichever Govt emerges from the election result and you can rest assured that I will use all my influence and persuasive powers to see that is the case."

The committment to legislate is in SNP and Conservative Manifestos.
SNP:
"There was overwhelming support(Consultation) for legislation and if re-elected we wlll act on this desire and introduce a Bill to provide a legal framework for settling disputes related to high hedges."

Conservatives:
"We will also legislate to tackle the problem of high hedges"

Finally, despite their complex politics Northern Ireland has now passed their High Hedges Bill which now awaits the Queen's Consent. They anticipate implementation around September of this year. The N.I. Bill was launched within three months of their Public Consultancy whilst in Scotland our Bill will not be put before Parliament until early in the next session, nearly 2 years after the Consultation!!

Given the committment by Conservative,Labour and SNP there is no available wriggle room left !
mazzy

Postby TO » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:15 pm

Hi
mazzy wrote:Kenny MacAskill outgoing Justice Minister stated:

Iain Gray Labour Leader stated:
"I agree that the time has now come to introduce legislation to ensure that there are legal remedies in place -"

David McLetchie Senior Conservative MSP wrote:
"I will expect it to be in the first legislative programme of whichever Govt emerges from the election result and you can rest assured that I will use all my influence and persuasive powers to see that is the case."

The committment to legislate is in SNP and Conservative Manifestos.
SNP:
"There was overwhelming support(Consultation) for legislation and if re-elected we wlll act on this desire and introduce a Bill to provide a legal framework for settling disputes related to high hedges."

Conservatives:
"We will also legislate to tackle the problem of high hedges"

Finally, despite their complex politics Northern Ireland has now passed their High Hedges Bill which now awaits the Queen's Consent. They anticipate implementation around September of this year. The N.I. Bill was launched within three months of their Public Consultancy whilst in Scotland our Bill will not be put before Parliament until early in the next session, nearly 2 years after the Consultation!!

Given the committment by Conservative,Labour and SNP there is no available wriggle room left !
Now where did this all start.

mazzy wrote:The Scottish Government is currently considering what would be the most appropriate and effective means of introducing HIGH HEDGES AND TREES LEGISLATION. On October 2nd 2007, the Petitions Committee will review PE984. This review should hopefully bring an end to those suffering from high hedge and tree nuisance with the introduction of 'appropriate and effective legislation'
Ah 2007 I remember it, not particularly well, but I do remember it. I had a few more teeth, and less aches and pains, but more hair, it had colour too. So what's changed, well as far as Scottish High Hedge legislation goes nothing. Me, well I'm four years nearer the grave but just as distrusting of politicians as ever, particularly a politician who wants my vote.

TO
TO

Postby mazzy » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:07 pm

Headline News
MINISTERIAL CONFIRMATION THAT HIGH HEDGE DISPUTE LEGISLATION IS COMING.
WRITTEN ANSWER SHOWS COMMITTMENT

Ms Roseanna Cunningham MSP
'This Government is committed to providing a legal framework for settling disputes related to high hedges and we are working towards the introduction of legislation this session.
I intend to build upon the progress that has already been made and will be discussing this shortly with my officials.'

This reply to a Parliamentary question by John Lamont MSP now awaits the starting gun of these "discussions" and we eagerly await news that the work to complete the Bill draft is in its final stages.
mazzy

Postby mazzy » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:31 pm

MINISTER YET TO MEET WITH AIDES TO STEER FINALISATION OF HIGH HEDGES AND OTHER NUISANCE VEGETATION BILL

FRUSTRATION MOUNTS AS THE UNDERTAKING TO LAUNCH BILL IN THE FIRST FEW WEEKS OF THIS PARLIAMENT FAILS TO MATERIALISE

The Government will get in touch with Scothedge following Roseanna Cunningham's aides meeting her. So much for the Fergus Ewing plan to launch a Bill within the first few weeks of this Parliament!!!!!!!!!

"The legislation is not as straightforward as it may appear to be" we are told!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mazzy

Postby TO » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:52 pm

Hi

mazzy wrote:MINISTER YET TO MEET WITH AIDES TO STEER FINALISATION OF HIGH HEDGES AND OTHER NUISANCE VEGETATION BILL
FRUSTRATION MOUNTS AS THE UNDERTAKING TO LAUNCH BILL IN THE FIRST FEW WEEKS OF THIS PARLIAMENT FAILS TO MATERIALISE
The Government will get in touch with Scothedge following Roseanna Cunningham's aides meeting her. So much for the Fergus Ewing plan to launch a Bill within the first few weeks of this Parliament!!!!!!!!!
"The legislation is not as straightforward as it may appear to be" we are told!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really? I am surprised.

You put too much faith in politicians. In fact any faith you put in a politician is too much.

TO
TO

Postby Sudynim » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:19 pm

mazzy wrote:Given the committment by Conservative,Labour and SNP there is no available wriggle room left !

You think so?
Sudynim

Postby mazzy » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:24 am

Yes, the committment is in the SNP manifesto but our politicians have been known to default. They have on every one of the last three Parliaments.

We need to make what will be hopefully our last big noise. EVERYONE IS INVITED TO WRITE/EMAIL OR TELEPHONE ROSEANNA CUNNINGHAM to demand to be told that the "High Hedges and Other Nuisance" legislation will be in place THIS YEAR.

MinisterforCommunitySafetyandLegalAffai ... gsi.gov.uk
or Constituents in Perth and Kinross, Roseanna Cunningham MSP rcmp.perth@snp.org

Perth and Kinross constituents have special access to their MSP and should contact Roseana Cunningham or better still attend MSP surgeries to impress upon her just how badly we have all been let down by successive Holyrood Parliaments.
mazzy

Postby mazzy » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:17 am

LATEST UPDATE;
Apparently, it is a manifesto commitment of the Scottish Government to provide a legal
framework for settling disputes relating to high hedges. On 8 September 2011 Mark
McDonald MSP announced his intention, with the support of the Scottish Government, to
take forward a Members Bill to address this issue. They say that a Bill will be taken forward during this
Parliamentary term????????????
Mark McDonald MSP and the Scottish Government say that they are keen to make progress on resolving the issue; this is apparently evident from the recent statement by Mark McDonald MSP of his intention to take forward the Bill. Any Bill must comply with the provisions set out in the the Standing Orders of the Scottish Parliament and detail on these can be found here;
http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/busin ... /index.htm

Watch this space eh!
mazzy

Postby mazzy » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:25 pm

SCOTTISH GOVERNMENT ANNOUNCEMENT

HIGH HEDGES

The High Hedges (Scotland) Act 2013 will come into force on 1 April 2014. The Act aims to provide a solution to the problem of high hedges, where neighbours have not been able to resolve the issue amicably, by providing an effective means of resolving disputes over the effects of high hedges which interfere with the reasonable enjoyment of domestic property.

The Act will give home owners and occupiers a right to apply to a local authority for a high hedge notice and empowers local authorities to make and enforce decisions in relation to high hedges in their local area.

Statutory guidance has been issued to local authorities on their responsibilities under the Act, which sets out their role as independent and impartial adjudicators, taking into account the positions of each party in a dispute, before making a decision.

Decisions on what action should be taken are for local authorities to make, taking account of the facts and circumstances of each individual case.
mazzy

Postby arborlad » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:34 pm

Hi mazzy, a recent thread which may be of interest: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19173

Do you happen to know if there are any major differences between the English and Scottish acts?
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Previous

Return to Trees