Postal scams? Think Jessica

A discussion forum for the elderly, their carers and advisers

Postal scams? Think Jessica

Postby gardenlaw » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:38 pm

This is an extract from an email to Solicitors for the Elderly

"I have a client who is a willing participant in postal scams – i.e. he responds to correspondence and sends out money to the fraudsters. The family is concerned that he may become bankrupt as he may have spent £12,000 this year on these scams alone.

The family have spoken to the client who is unwilling to give up these scams as he is under the belief that he is “due to win big”.

The client receives a sack full of post – the post man needs to deliver the client’s post at the end of his round as there is so much!

I have advised family to consult GP to establish capacity (and arrange psychiatric help if necessary), register LPA if appropriate and organise post redirection. However, I have advised family that this will not stop their father entering the competitions he may come across in newspapers/magazines/tv etc.

Unfortunately there is nothing useful found when researching this problem on the internet.

I anticipate that if GP confirms client has capacity, then the family will be helpless until their father gets into financial difficulties.

Has any one come across such an extreme case like this before? If so, any guidance would be appreciated."
Last edited by gardenlaw on Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gardenlaw
Site Admin

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby gardenlaw » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:40 pm

Have a look at the website Think Jessica that helps with this situation http://www.thinkjessica.com/
gardenlaw
Site Admin

Postby w3526602 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:07 am

Hi,

In one of my jobs, I came across the Court of Protection. Might, or might not, be worth a Google.

602 (That was my "last three")
w3526602

Return to Elderly and Elder Law