People "denied" wish to die at home

A discussion forum for the elderly, their carers and advisers

People "denied" wish to die at home

Postby gardenlaw » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:48 am

People 'denied' die at home wish

"A report by think tank, Demos, entitled ‘Dying for Change’ found of the 500,000 people who die each year in the UK, the think tank found only 18% die at home, yet 60% of people surveyed would like to. It is estimated that 20% of hospital beds are currently taken up with caring for people who are dying.
The report says that investing £500m more a year would allow more people to die at home or with support in the community. Setting up new places for people to die close to home, training volunteers to support the terminally ill, a 24-hour nursing support service and an "end of life telephone help line" are all suggestions the report makes on how this money could be spent. It also proposes setting up a national "hospice at home" service to help support people dying at home. Demos claims that making this investment would result in fewer and shorter hospital admissions, helping the NHS save money in the long term.
Predictions:
• By 2030 more people will die in hospital (65%) and fewer people will die at home (just one in 10 people)
• In 10 years, 20% of people will die in care homes, a figure currently at 17%.
• End of life NHS care will rise from £20bn to £25bn by 2030"

Solicitors For The Elderly
gardenlaw
Site Admin

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: People "denied" wish to die at home

Postby catapult1 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:31 pm

On the one hand I would like to die at home. Surrounded by the things and memories of my life.

On the other I wouldn't want my family to feel uncomfortable in their own home. I might like to pass away at home but how will they feel having to live in it afterwards?
My answers are not of a legal nature, only what I consider to be common sense.
catapult1

Re: People "denied" wish to die at home

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:53 pm

I think the elderly should have the right to die at home, seeing my gran lose the will to live in a nursing home was awful. She would never have chosen to die in one of those places, she wanted to die at home.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Return to Elderly and Elder Law