Elderly?

A discussion forum for the elderly, their carers and advisers

Elderly?

Postby enigma » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:39 pm

With the news that 1 in 5 are going to live to 100 at what age will people be regarded as elderly? Thank goodness the government is re-considering the retirement age. I think the age in which state pension is paid should be 80 for women and 85 for men. This would give a good 15/20 years of leisure.
enigma

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Elderly?

Postby Stoday » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:33 pm

enigma wrote: I think the age in which state pension is paid should be 80 for women and 85 for men. This would give a good 15/20 years of leisure.

According to the Office for National Statistics only 35% of men survive to 85. We should avoid discriminating against men, so women should only get their state pension at an age when the same proportion of them survive to collect it. That is 88.

I don't know about 15/20 years of leisure for the lucky 20% — it's more likely to be 15/20 years of ill health.
Stoday

Postby enigma » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:39 am

State pension to be deferred to age 88 for men and women. When will people be regarded as elderly, though?
enigma

Postby despair » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:38 pm

State Pension at 80 !!!!!!!!!!!!!! dont be ridiculous

Up until recently it required 39 years of NI contributions to get full pension

Now only 30 years is needed

That shortchanges all those who only currently get part pension because they could not work 39 years due to staying home to care for children or elderly
despair

Postby enigma » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:08 am

That's because they did not know how to work the system. I didn't know about it until too late. What you were supposed to do was leave work to care for children or whatever and then sign on for a job. You didn't receive payment but you got your national insurance contribution paid which went towards your state pension. Idiots like me worked but still ended up with a reduced pension.
enigma

Postby gardenlaw » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:46 am

This rise in average will certainly fuel alienation between the generations if it continues but can it? Todays children cannot look forward to our pension system. It is unsustainable. Will funding for the NHS continue to enable the elderly to live as healthily as possible? Is there even enough resourses on the Earth for humans to expect to just go on expanding their exploitation? Being defined as eldrly or otherwise may be of little consequence if there is, for example, not enough water.
gardenlaw
Site Admin

Return to Elderly and Elder Law