Banks are "weakest link" with Lasting Powers of Attorney

A discussion forum for the elderly, their carers and advisers

Banks are "weakest link" with Lasting Powers of Attorney

Postby gardenlaw » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:49 am

Counter staff often have little training with regard to Lasting Powers of Attorney and are making life very difficult for those trying to deal with their loved ones financial affairs at a stressful time. This is a link to an article in the Telegraph http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/pers ... uests.html

Have you had such an experience? The Banks need to know so they can change the ways of their staff.
gardenlaw
Site Admin

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Banks are "weakest link" with Lasting Powers of Attorney

Postby despair » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:53 pm

Maybe I was Lucky but I had no problems at all with Barclays and they provided Internet access too which enabled me to insure the relatives property something you cannot otherwise do because while the owner is alive an Attorney has no beneficial interest in the house and thus cannot purchase house insurance

The only Co I had hassle with concerning probate and release of funds was Nationwide they do not recognise some of HMRC forms and insist on using their own
despair

Re: Banks are "weakest link" with Lasting Powers of Attorney

Postby juliet » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:26 pm

Not a bank but I had the most horrendous problems with N Power - just trying to give them a meter reading for my sister (I have PoA). They said that it was a data protection issue....surprised that it wasn't a health & safety issue :) as lots of 'get out' clauses usually are. I had to move the accounts in the end as they just never understood.
juliet

Return to Elderly and Elder Law