Change an existing will

A discussion forum for the elderly, their carers and advisers

Change an existing will

Postby Ezekiel » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:49 pm

My will was made up some years ago when my children were young. At that time I appointed the solicitor as executor but now that my children are mature I'd like them to be executors. Can I do that simply without recourse to a lawyer?
Ezekiel

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Change an existing will

Postby Mojisola » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:15 pm

Ezekiel wrote:My will was made up some years ago when my children were young. At that time I appointed the solicitor as executor but now that my children are mature I'd like them to be executors. Can I do that simply without recourse to a lawyer?

If the rest of the will is going to be exactly the same, you could type it into your computer, change the names of the executors and print out a copy.

Some wills fail because people don't get the signing right - you should have two witnesses who watch you sign and date the document and then both of them should sign and date it. It's good practice for them to add their addresses in case there are any queries in the future. Witnesses do not get to read the will, unless you want them too. They mustn't be given anything in the will and they shouldn't be the spouse or civil partner of anyone who is due to inherit.

Don't attach anything to the will - staples, pins or paperclips.

If the will goes over several pages, you can sign and date each page just as a belts and braces move.

The Which? book "Wills and Probate" is very useful. Most libraries have a copy.
Mojisola

Postby eusebius » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:37 pm

many thanks for your response Mojisola. Do I have to state anywhere on the will I've amended to name the new executors that it is my last will and testament?

I will get the book you recommend.
eusebius

Postby Mojisola » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:44 pm

eusebius wrote:many thanks for your response Mojisola. Do I have to state anywhere on the will I've amended to name the new executors that it is my last will and testament?

I will get the book you recommend.

Your original will should say that as well as saying that the new will revokes all previous wills and codicils. If it doesn't, it might be worth paying for a new one.
Mojisola

Postby Conveyancer » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:47 pm

Ezekiel wrote:My will was made up some years ago when my children were young.

That probably means it needs revising. Please do not attempt to do this own your own. See a solicitor.

See here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1926
If you have benefited from advice on this site please consider contributing to a cancer charity.
Conveyancer

Postby eusebius » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:08 pm

Conveyances,

my will was set up very expensively to include a trust for one of my children who is disabled and will never be independent. It had longevity built into it and I really think the only change needed is the executor. If I have no new requirements why might I need a complete revision?
eusebius

Postby eusebius » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:46 pm

I note that I have my old name of eusebius back having begun this thread as Ezekiel. We are the same person!
eusebius

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Elderly and Elder Law