Blood Tests

A discussion forum for the elderly, their carers and advisers

Blood Tests

Postby enigma » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:21 am

This person needs to have a blood test. In our area you have to go to a local clinic after visiting the doctor, take a number and wait in a queue, the patients waiting are from all surgeries in the area. You can wait for well over an hour or more. I have been searching the internet to find out if you can insist on the doctor taking the blood. I cannot find anything. If anyone here knows the law can you please let me know if the patient is within their rights to insist for personal attention.
My husbands surgery takes blood which is in the local area, but mine doesn't neither does the person's I'm enquiring for.
enigma

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Blood Tests

Postby FrTed » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:45 pm

You could request the GP or nurse at the practice takes the blood, but alot will do with whether that pricatice has a pre-arranged transport system in place to take blood to the pathology lab at the local hospital.

A lot of practices do not and this is why there are now dedicated phlebotomy clinics serving a multitude of practices. It cuts down on staff time and transport costs (and the risk of blood products haemolising whilst they are stood waiting to be taken to the lab and thus nessesitating the blood being taken again).
"No Dougal, these cows are SMALL, those cows are FAR AWAY"
FrTed

Postby Mojisola » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:26 pm

Our practice has a phlebotomy nurse at the surgery a couple of mornings a week. You could ask your GPs to consider doing the same.
Mojisola

Postby Fairperson » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:34 pm

If the person needing the blood test is infirm, you could speak with your district nurse (rather than practice nurse),and request a home visit for blood taking. Your GP reception should be able to provide you with a contact 'phone number.
Fairperson

Return to Elderly and Elder Law