FSC Eucalyptus Garden Furniture ............water ingress ??

Let everyone have the same pleasure as you derive from your garden -- or perhaps a friends garden

FSC Eucalyptus Garden Furniture ............water ingress ??

Postby despair » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:36 pm

Anyone have experience of garden furniture made of Eucalyptus

I have teak garden furniture but despite carefully oiling it

It soon got black stains from the fungal effect of water ingress ..........hence it all had to be well sanded back down and in the end i had to use exterior wood stain and varnish

It seems that Eucalyptus is now what they are using but cant face the same problem
despair

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: FSC Eucalyptus Garden Furniture ............water ingres

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:31 pm

http://www.hayesgardenworld.co.uk/amble ... iture.html

I got excited about the Eucalyptus furniture until I read the care instructions, I think it might discolour like other hardwoods, but could be wrong.

I think if they are stored inside they keep a nice colour but outside will darken.

If anyone can say different we might consider this wood too, I have seen some beautiful examples on the internet at very reasonable prices too. :D
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:47 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Fri May 01, 2009 4:09 pm

I'd stick with your upturned bucket Will. It won't need any maintenance. :lol: :lol:
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Fri May 01, 2009 7:27 pm

appledore wrote:I'd stick with your upturned bucket Will. It won't need any maintenance. :lol: :lol:

:lol: You're right apples, if I ever have to replace it, I will just pick up another one washed up on the beach or I might even stretch to a B&Q value bucket for some funky colour.

How do these furniture stores stay in business when so much free stuff just washes up somewhere or falls off the back of a lorry? :wink:

Oh well off to cook my value sausages. :lol:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby Treeman » Fri May 01, 2009 8:28 pm

despair wrote:Anyone have experience of garden furniture made of Eucalyptus

I have teak garden furniture but despite carefully oiling it

It soon got black stains from the fungal effect of water ingress ..........hence it all had to be well sanded back down and in the end i had to use exterior wood stain and varnish

It seems that Eucalyptus is now what they are using but cant face the same problem

I don’t know what the “fungal effect of water ingress” is, but as a description it sounds like the fungi are causing water ingress. That’s a fundamental misunderstanding of the relationship between the fungus and its environment.

So you took a lump of timber and treated it with vegetable based oil, then let it get damp. Fungi do like humid conditions. The black colour is probably associated with a fungus but it’s highly unlikely it was digesting the wood. The easily digestible oil however is a veritable paradise for the fungus and in all likelihood your staining came from the fungus digesting the oil and the damp conditions made life easy for the fungus.
Any timber is then merely a substrate so the same would happen whatever the timber

Simply put, if you oil it keep it dry.
Treeman

Postby despair » Fri May 01, 2009 8:49 pm

Makes a mockery of all the teak and hardwood furniture they are selling for gardens ............the minute it rains the wood /oil gets wet and in no time at all the black staining /water ingress/mould whatever it is makes the furniture look poor

Add on needing to cover it or store it in the winter and !!!!!!!!!
despair

Postby Treeman » Fri May 01, 2009 9:02 pm

despair wrote:Makes a mockery of all the teak and hardwood furniture they are selling for gardens ............the minute it rains the wood /oil gets wet and in no time at all the black staining /water ingress/mould whatever it is makes the furniture look poor

Add on needing to cover it or store it in the winter and !!!!!!!!!

So buy white plastic then
Treeman

Postby subjecttocontract » Fri May 01, 2009 9:04 pm

I've got a teak table and chairs in the garden. Had it about 6 years. I apply teak oil at the beginning of spring (now) and again at end of summer (usually Sept) every year.

NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. Its got no fungus, isn't black, looks great and the oil waterproofs it.

Of course you do need to apply the oil, leave it a few minutes and then wipe of any residue and lightly polish.
Almost everything I say is tinged with irony !
subjecttocontract

Postby despair » Fri May 01, 2009 9:19 pm

I did apply the teak oil exactly as you said but still the minute it rained the black would start

I also have white plastic but thats all nasty black /grey marks that nothing will remove .............hence why i am looking to replace it
despair

Postby subjecttocontract » Fri May 01, 2009 9:37 pm

There's always green.

I think almost every material used in garden furniture has at least one disadvantage.

Teak ages quite quickly
Steel rusts
White marks easily
Aluminium oxidises
Timber requires lots of maintenance
etc etc
Almost everything I say is tinged with irony !
subjecttocontract

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Fri May 01, 2009 10:19 pm

I like wood that has aged, I like the dark colour and creeking sound as you stamp on it. Oooops I thought we were talking about David Dickinson.

Up-turned bucket = cheap as chips. :wink:

Seriously now, we have Teak garden furniture and it still looks beautiful after 10 years, although it is kept in the garage next to our freezer full of value sausages. :D
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Sat May 02, 2009 5:57 pm

despair wrote:I also have white plastic but thats all nasty black /grey marks that nothing will remove .............hence why i am looking to replace it

Cif is good at removing marks from white plastic. Lakeland also have something for removing marks from plastic called White Wizard. I haven't tried it, but their products are usually good.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby despair » Sat May 02, 2009 8:56 pm

I have tried Cif and bleach and even scouring powder

The last thing i bought from Lakeland was a piece of rubbish sadly
despair

Postby whis4ey » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:59 pm

But surely the natural aging of teak simply adds character?
whis4ey

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Your Garden