The cold weather has killed a lot of plants

Let everyone have the same pleasure as you derive from your garden -- or perhaps a friends garden

The cold weather has killed a lot of plants

Postby appledore » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:30 pm

We've lost a lot of shrubs this winter. Most of the hebes have died, even large ones that we've had a long time. The choysias are all frost damaged too, but I think they'll be ok when we've cut the dead bits off.
We have a cordyline in a pot on the patio, which has survived the previous mild winters, but it looks a picture this year. We're left with the stalk and one leaf. :lol:

It'll be a trip to the garden centre when the weather warms up a bit.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: The cold weather has killed a lot of plants

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:42 pm

appledore wrote:We've lost a lot of shrubs this winter. Most of the hebes have died, even large ones that we've had a long time. The choysias are all frost damaged too, but I think they'll be ok when we've cut the dead bits off.
We have a cordyline in a pot on the patio, which has survived the previous mild winters, but it looks a picture this year. We're left with the stalk and one leaf. :lol:

It'll be a trip to the garden centre when the weather warms up a bit.

Aw this weather has been bad han't it? We have lost a few plants too, although two were on their way out already and one was a major pain in the bum because it got too big for its boots.

What are you going to buy from the garden centre?
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:54 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:What are you going to buy from the garden centre?

We'll buy another cordyline from the garden centre, and we'll replace the hebes. We usually buy some shrubs from the supermarket too as they're cheaper. We buy a couple each week with our grocery shopping. We don't like to pay a lot for plants, if the rabbits take a fancy to them they don't last long. They don't like anything with spikes so we'll buy some berberis, and they don't eat anything with dark glossy leaves so viburnums are ok.

So really it's a case of buying what the rabbits won't eat rather than what we really want. :lol:
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:00 pm

appledore wrote:We'll buy another cordyline from the garden centre, and we'll replace the hebes.

The Cordyline will probably grow back if it was very well established. I had never heard of hebes, had to look that one up. :oops:

I bought some flowers from the supermarket last years which were very cheap, they did really well. I am going to replace everything in our baskets this year, I don't know what with yet, I shall impulse buy. :D

Kittens would look cute but they won't stay still. :lol:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:19 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:[The Cordyline will probably grow back if it was very well established. :

You wouldn't say that if you could see it. :lol: :lol: I don't think there's any hope of it growing back.

I think it's a good idea to impulse buy. I don't think there's any point going shopping with a fixed idea of what you want, whether it's plants or anything else. There doesn't seem to be much choice at the moment.
I'm speaking from experience :lol: We've been trying to buy some new curtains. Hubby goes a funny colour when I mention new curtains. I can't think why. :lol: :lol:

A garden full of kittens would be lovely, and they'd frighten the rabbits when they got a bit bigger.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:34 pm

appledore wrote: You wouldn't say that if you could see it. :lol: :lol: I don't think there's any hope of it growing back.

You could use the trunk of the Cordyline to put a weathervane in or a flag. :lol:

appledore wrote: I think it's a good idea to impulse buy. I don't think there's any point going shopping with a fixed idea of what you want, whether it's plants or anything else. There doesn't seem to be much choice at the moment.
I'm speaking from experience :lol: We've been trying to buy some new curtains. Hubby goes a funny colour when I mention new curtains. I can't think why. :lol: :lol:

If hubby goes a nice colour when you mention curtains hang him on the curtain rail and use his arms as tie backs. :oops:

appledore wrote: A garden full of kittens would be lovely, and they'd frighten the rabbits when they got a bit bigger.

Ahhh a garden full of kittens and cats, everyone’s dream. :lol: :lol: Although a garden full of bunny rabbits sounds lovely too. :)
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:58 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:If hubby goes a nice colour when you mention curtains hang him on the curtain rail and use his arms as tie backs. :oops:

Good idea, and if he makes a fuss I can tell him to pull himself together. :lol: :lol:
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:27 pm

appledore wrote:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:If hubby goes a nice colour when you mention curtains hang him on the curtain rail and use his arms as tie backs. :oops:

Good idea, and if he makes a fuss I can tell him to pull himself together. :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: Sooo funny! 8)

And if he still has a full head of hair you could cut that into a nice pelmet. :idea: :lol:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:18 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:And if he still has a full head of hair you could cut that into a nice pelmet. :idea: :lol:

It's more like a two thirds head of hair. :lol: I suppose I could start a new trend - a pelmet with a gap in the middle. :lol:
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:34 pm

appledore wrote:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:And if he still has a full head of hair you could cut that into a nice pelmet. :idea: :lol:

It's more like a two thirds head of hair. :lol: I suppose I could start a new trend - a pelmet with a gap in the middle. :lol:

If he had a comb over you would have a pelmet with fringes in the middle. :lol:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:52 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:If he had a comb over you would have a pelmet with fringes in the middle. :lol:

I think nothing looks worse than a comb over. :lol: We'll have to manage without a pelmet. :lol:
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:17 am

appledore wrote:I think nothing looks worse than a comb over. :lol: We'll have to manage without a pelmet. :lol:

:lol: http://www.hyperorg.com/blogger/images/combover.jpg They are dreadful aren't they! :x

When we were at six flags this year there was a guy queuing for this roller coaster and we waited for his train to come back because we knew it would be great for a laugh. Comb over no more, put it that way! :lol: Although he was one of the only elderly people we saw going on the good coasters, I hope we will be like that, except not with comb over. :wink:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:29 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:When we were at six flags this year there was a guy queuing for this roller coaster and we waited for his train to come back because we knew it would be great for a laugh. Comb over no more, put it that way! :lol: Although he was one of the only elderly people we saw going on the good coasters, I hope we will be like that, except not with comb over. :wink:

He should have had a hair grip to keep his comb over in place. :lol:
A local celebrity, he thinks he is anyway, has a hair grip. He must never look in the mirror to see what he looks like. :shock:

I'm sure you'll be on the roller coasters even if you live to be a hundred. If you're full of fun when you're young you'll still be full of fun when you're older. You might have a wig by then, and you can stick it on with Polygrip. :lol:
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:43 pm

appledore wrote:A local celebrity, he thinks he is anyway, has a hair grip. He must never look in the mirror to see what he looks like. :shock:

I'm sure you'll be on the roller coasters even if you live to be a hundred. If you're full of fun when you're young you'll still be full of fun when you're older. You might have a wig by then, and you can stick it on with Polygrip. :lol:

Teehee a comb over with a hair grip? Now that would be something funny to look at. :lol: My uncle had a comb back, he put his hair in a pony tail and looked very funny. He was trying to hold onto his youth but he just looked like an old man with very little hair at the front and more at the back. :lol: Good job he had a sense of humour because I used to tease him like crazy. :)

Me and hubs will both be bald riding roller coasters at 100 years old, sounds like really good fun. We will entertain others whilst they queue for the rides, they can watch me lose my wig and hubby lose his false teeth. :lol: :D By then they might make a ride to scare me. Although I have to say I was gripping on for dear life on the stratosphere ride called X scream. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=459AyZZNAIQ :shock:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:53 pm

You were very brave going on that ride. :shock: I'm surprised your hair didn't drop out with fright. What a view though, if you dared open your eyes. :lol:
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Your Garden