woody woodpecker

Let everyone have the same pleasure as you derive from your garden -- or perhaps a friends garden

woody woodpecker

Postby living in harmony » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:42 pm

for years we have listened to the local headbanger, no not the neighbour from hell, this other little headcase, who clealry has become immune to headaches or has a stash of asprin.

anyway, now some of the leaves are falling with high winds, we have chunks of clearings in the forest/woodland at the back of our house and after searching and following the sound we were eventually able to see what was causing this constant knocking.

a beautiful woodpecker, relentlessly banging his head on the tree trunk.

it makes you realise why we really have all got to learn to 'live in harmony',so many beautiful things around and our eyes have forgotten to focus on them as our weary souls carry the ever increasing burden of neighbour conflict due to land/space decreasing,population/immigration increasing, more working hours and financial worries,and people forgetting to stop for one second to say hello,smile or leave all battles until another day.

we're all along time dead, isn't it about time we paused to appreciate everything that's living, we don't have to always like or approve, just practice tolerance and the wonderful world we all have, after all, our gardens are borrowed from our children, let's not ruin them with neighbour gripes, let's all make today the day we forgive and forget, turn over a new leaf, offer the hand of friendship and think about how whatever we decide to do will affect someone else.

watching this merry sole in the tree kinda made me open my eyes and see him as a representative of many a person today - knocking their heads against a wall, the only difference, we haven't quite mastered it, we end up the next day with a bigger headache.
living in harmony

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: woody woodpecker

Postby despair » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:47 am

I have a beautiful woodpecker who loves to come and snack from the fat balls i make for all the blue tits and great tits that visit my garden
despair

Postby appledore » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:31 pm

We have a woodpecker that eats the peanuts we put out for the blue tits. He's a beautiful bird, but he tries to peck the blue tits if they try to get some nuts while he's there. :)
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby despair » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:36 pm

wheras my woodpecker is skittish and the very least noise or other birds and its off
despair

Postby appledore » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:44 pm

I've been trying to get a photo of our woodpecker for months, but I just have to move and he's off. He's not frightened of other birds though.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:02 pm

appledore wrote:I've been trying to get a photo of our woodpecker for months, but I just have to move and he's off. He's not frightened of other birds though.

We have never seen a woodpecker in our garden, if you can get a photo it would be fab! :D Hubby's parents get them in their garden so we see them there, but our garden isn't their cup of wood. :lol:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:17 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:[We have never seen a woodpecker in our garden, if you can get a photo it would be fab! :D Hubby's parents get them in their garden so we see them there, but our garden isn't their cup of wood. :lol:

I'll keep the camera to hand, and try to get a photo. :)
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby Rowan » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:16 pm

Been very lucky in having great spotted woodpeckers as permanent feeding residents in the garden - they do love peanuts - driving off any smaller birds daring to attempt to get on the feeder at the same time as they are feeding

A few years ago I managed this photo of a youngster - who obviously got confused by the 'light tunnel' from my back garden door to the picture window at the front

I have always thought of this as the young one saying "HELP Mum - what do I do now !!!!"
Rowan

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:21 am

Rowan wrote:Image

WOW!!! He's great at knitting! :lol:

Very beautiful photo, you are very lucky to have got so close. :D
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:16 pm

Great photo. He looks really worrried doesn't he?
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:07 am

appledore wrote:Great photo. He looks really worrried doesn't he?

I think he is just weighing up whether he will turn white if he pecks the painted wood. If so he will bring his bride for a meal and wrap her in the net curtain for the wedding. :oops: :oops:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Your Garden