Bird Feeders Advice

Let everyone have the same pleasure as you derive from your garden -- or perhaps a friends garden

Bird Feeders Advice

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:27 pm

Does anyone have the cage type bird feeders, ones which keep squirrels out? What I would like to know is do they keep starlings out too?

We have noticed that huge amounts of starlings have moved in on our bird feeders and are pushing the little bird's beaks out so to speak.

We like to feed all birds and do put a variety of food out so we see a good variety of birds, but really need at least one feeder to keep the starlings out.

If the cage feeders keep them out, I shall purchase one asap.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Bird Feeders Advice

Postby appledore » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:04 pm

I don't know Will. We just have those tube shaped mesh feeders, if you know what I mean. If the starlings have just come they'll probably go again. We had problems with them for a few days last winter, and then they were gone. We have a little mouse that climbs up the ivy and onto the bird feeder to eat the nuts. :)
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:38 pm

appledore wrote:I don't know Will. We just have those tube shaped mesh feeders, if you know what I mean. If the starlings have just come they'll probably go again. We had problems with them for a few days last winter, and then they were gone. We have a little mouse that climbs up the ivy and onto the bird feeder to eat the nuts. :)

Awww the little mouse sounds cute. :) We don't have enough trees around to get squirrels, but one or two mornings I saw a squirrel try to eat from a feeder, by hanging up-side-down. It was funny because it tipped the seeds out and then just went without eating any. I think it must have been friends with the blackbird who cleaned up afterwards.

We have always seen a lot of starlings, but they are getting to be a nuisance, I like to see the pretty little birds like tits and finches. Grrr I'm getting a cage just to see if it keeps them out. :lol:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:18 pm

Hi Will. Did you manage to find a bird feeder to keep the starlings out? We had a pheasant in the garden this morning. If I see it hanging on the bird feeder eating the nuts I'll take a photo. :wink: :lol:
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:38 am

appledore wrote:Hi Will. Did you manage to find a bird feeder to keep the starlings out? We had a pheasant in the garden this morning. If I see it hanging on the bird feeder eating the nuts I'll take a photo. :wink: :lol:

Hi apples. We did buy some feeders which are meant to be squirrel proof, they were cheap ones though, so aren't that great. But the funniest thing about them is how difficult it is now for the 'very clever' starlings to get any food out. Oh boy do they try! I'm laughing my socks off at how hard they try...I didn't know they could flex their necks that far. :lol: :lol:

You must take a piccy of the pheasant hanging from a bird feeder, we fed pheasants at Center Parcs, they are very strange birds. I had never taken much notice of them before, I always thought of them as birds hanging in a kitchen waiting to be plucked and cooked. I think they taste rubbish, I would rather feed them than eat them. :lol:

Oh do show a photo of one hanging from a feeder, and put a caption to it. :) http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/co ... 791250.jpg Not this one though, I always say it phuking wrong. :oops: :lol:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:46 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:Hi apples. We did buy some feeders which are meant to be squirrel proof, they were cheap ones though, so aren't that great. But the funniest thing about them is how difficult it is now for the 'very clever' starlings to get any food out. Oh boy do they try! I'm laughing my socks off at how hard they try...I didn't know they could flex their necks that far. :lol: :lol:

You must take a piccy of the pheasant hanging from a bird feeder, we fed pheasants at Center Parcs, they are very strange birds. I had never taken much notice of them before, I always thought of them as birds hanging in a kitchen waiting to be plucked and cooked. I think they taste rubbish, I would rather feed them than eat them. :lol:

Oh do show a photo of one hanging from a feeder, and put a caption to it. :) http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/co ... 791250.jpg Not this one though, I always say it phuking wrong. :oops: :lol:

Hi Will. The pleasant pheasant hasn't been on the bird feeder yet, but I'm watching for him. :) I'll find a good caption. :lol: We had some long tailed tits on the feeder today until a sparrow chased them away. I like to watch how the different birds feed. When we throw bread out the sparrows and robins just eat it where it lands, but the blackbirds dash across the lawn, chirping away, grab a piece of bread and dash off to eat it under a bush. They'll fight over one piece of bread when there's plenty for them all.

Pheasants are very strange birds. They look so funny when they run, with their heads going backwards and forwards. I haven't eaten pheasant, don't fancy it somehow.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:53 am

appledore wrote:Hi Will. The pleasant pheasant hasn't been on the bird feeder yet, but I'm watching for him. :) I'll find a good caption. :lol: We had some long tailed tits on the feeder today until a sparrow chased them away. I like to watch how the different birds feed. When we throw bread out the sparrows and robins just eat it where it lands, but the blackbirds dash across the lawn, chirping away, grab a piece of bread and dash off to eat it under a bush. They'll fight over one piece of bread when there's plenty for them all.

Pheasants are very strange birds. They look so funny when they run, with their heads going backwards and forwards. I haven't eaten pheasant, don't fancy it somehow.

Long tailed tits are one of my favourite birds, we took some photos of them in CP, but they were a bit blurred.

The pheasants we were feeding in CP were purple in colour, a bit different to the usual ones you see. I never really wanted to try pheasant either, but the posh folk served it up and it could have been cat for all I knew, it was a bit yucky! I don't see the appeal, unless it is just the blood thirsty bit of shooting them and then spending hours plucking them? :?

I much prefer my meat from the magic of tesco. :oops: Where it obviously comes from magic and not hunting or farming. :mrgreen:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:31 pm

Here are some long tailed tits, I do have photos of them on a fat ball. We saw up to six of the cuties at a time on one fat ball, oh they are so sweet! :D
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:39 pm

That's a good photo. We have some huge crows in the garden, they sit in a tree and as soon as they see me throw some food out they fly down and scoop it all up. You wouldn't believe how much they can get in their beaks. :shock:

I like my meat all ready to pop into the oven, I don't want to see all the gory bits. :)
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:17 pm

appledore wrote:That's a good photo. We have some huge crows in the garden, they sit in a tree and as soon as they see me throw some food out they fly down and scoop it all up. You wouldn't believe how much they can get in their beaks. :shock:

I like my meat all ready to pop into the oven, I don't want to see all the gory bits. :)

Crows are my absolute favourite birds, after some birds of prey and other birds. :lol: :lol:

You are very lucky to get them in your garden, we don't. :( We get the occasional Magpie, which obviously are from the crow family, but I want crows and rooks. Rooks are the best, they are so comical. Send some over here, or pass them down the wire. If they don't make it, I'll stuff them and mount them on the wall. :wink:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:46 pm

Hi Will. The pheasant hasn't tried to eat the nuts yet, but he ate all the other food I threw out this morning. :)
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:37 pm

appledore wrote:
Hi Will. The pheasant hasn't tried to eat the nuts yet, but he ate all the other food I threw out this morning. :)

Aww spoilt little pheasant. :) Is that a balloon in the background or a ball? It would make a good photo if the pheasant had a kick around. :lol:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:13 pm

This is a pheasant which came to our villa in CP, it looked more purple than this, the photos didn't take very well as they were through glass and it kept moving. I have no idea which type of pheasant this is?
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:22 pm

Hi Will. Those pheasants are a lovely colour, I'll give our pheasant a coat of paint. :lol: The blue ball is a garden ornament. Or my little bit of artistry as our son says. :lol: It looks better when the leaves are on the shrubs and it just peeps out.

I've Googled, and your pheasants are Melanistic Mutants. Our pheasant is just a common pheasant. Good enough for us. :lol:
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:35 pm

appledore wrote:Hi Will. Those pheasants are a lovely colour, I'll give our pheasant a coat of paint. :lol: The blue ball is a garden ornament. Or my little bit of artistry as our son says. :lol: It looks better when the leaves are on the shrubs and it just peeps out.

I've Googled, and your pheasants are Melanistic Mutants. Our pheasant is just a common pheasant. Good enough for us. :lol:

Hi apples.

Oh I see, it is a sparkly garden object. :mrgreen: I just have balloons on the brain. It might explain why I'm so dipsy. :oops:

Thank you for looking up that pheasants name. I did look earlier, but wasn't sure. I never realised how many species of pheasant there are.

I too think the common pheasant is just fine, we don't need that much colour on one bird. Who do they think they are...a peacock or something? :lol:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Your Garden