Shield bug .. I think?

Let everyone have the same pleasure as you derive from your garden -- or perhaps a friends garden

Shield bug .. I think?

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:29 pm

Are these popular bugs in a garden? We seem to get quite a lot all of a sudden. They range from green to a bit more colourful, never seen them before. I hope they don't bite as I picked one up earlier. :o
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Shield bug .. I think?

Postby appledore » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:29 pm

Hi Will. It looks like a leaf with legs. :) Yes, it's a shield bug, apparently they are very common, but I can't say I've ever noticed one. They produce a foul smelling liquid, and are sometimes called stink bugs.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby Rowan » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:35 pm

That is almost certainly the hawthorn shield bug

They are a little early this year, which might have something to do with the warmer weather we had a week or two ago

With three hawthorn trees in my garden (front, side, back) I see them regularly, despite them living on s u c k i n g sap (darn filth editor!) I've never noticed any damage to the trees
Rowan

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:54 pm

Ahhhh we have hawthorn nearby, so they must be hawthorn shield bugs. :) I hope they don't get into the house if they stink, can't have that! One smelly cat is enough!!! :lol:

I think they look like bits of leaf, I gave one a tickle today, it didn't laugh so I must have done it wrong. :mrgreen:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Return to Your Garden