Vine Weevil

Let everyone have the same pleasure as you derive from your garden -- or perhaps a friends garden

Vine Weevil

Postby cloudyeyes » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:19 am

The flats where I live are set in fairly extensive communal gardens, laid out with mainly mature trees, mixed shrubbery and lawns. We have tall (8ft) privet hedges that screen us from the adjacent road and line the driveways (these are very .long hedges, probably several huindred metres in total). Quite suddenly it seems, the privet hedges have developed a massive vine weevil infestation. One or two of the plants have completely died and the rest are pretty threadbare and chewed. The infestation is spreading into the shrubs too. The hedges are quite old (possibly 50 years-ish) but have always been well-maintained, although we are in a dry part of the country and the soil is pretty poor.

The company that maintains the gardens apparently tried spraying with insecticide last year but it doesn't seem to have any effect at all. They're now considering nematodes but it would be a bit hit and miss with the dry soil and a hoepipe ban. The managing agents have advised that if we remove the hedges with the intention of planting new ones, we would have to leave the ground fallow for 6 months, in which case we would have to put up temporary fencing along our external boundary.

Does anyone have any alternative ways of dealing with the vine weevils and suggestions for hedge species that might be less vulnerable or have some resistance to them?

Thanks!

We want to keep the hedges or retain hedges The managing agents have advised that
cloudyeyes

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Vine Weevil

Postby despair » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:30 pm

Are they sure its vine weevils ..............seems unusual to have attacked hedges

If it is Vine weevils i doubt leaving the ground fallow will do much good

Personally i would be liberally watering with a solution of Armillotox or Jeyes fluid

yes i know EU rules mean they cant claim either works .............i just know it does
nematodes are darn expensive and cant be used till the soil and weather is warmer
despair

Return to Your Garden