Annoying Neighbours.

Let everyone have the same pleasure as you derive from your garden -- or perhaps a friends garden

Annoying Neighbours.

Postby hackableFM » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:57 am

Hello, I'm new here to this forumand have searched about a bit and found some useful information but I still require further advice.

I have a long running story to tell about 2 sets of annoying neighbours which is getting to boiling point with me now, I'm so frustrated and cannot decide what to do from here.

We are a block of three terraced houses, Door numbers 1, 3 & 5. I live in the middle of the three, We are council tennants on an average council estate. Up until 2 years ago we all got on reasonably (albeit just to keep the friendly neighbourhood atmosphere!) well until we found out some 'sensitive' stuff about the neighbour at No 1, now Neighbour number 1 knew that I had found out and somehow turned the neighbour at number 5 against us and promptly moved out!. From this day onwards they have made it their ambition to make our lives a misery, including the previous tennants from number 1.

Things they do I feel are infringing on our privacy and quality of life. They regularly hung out of upstairs windows to blatently watch what we do in our garden, If I so much as go outside to have a cigarette they are there to watch, When I get visitors they're there watching, Even my visitors comment on how blatent they are and how regularly they watch, If we have a BBQ in the garden in the summer they come outside for the usual 'Bin trips' so I put a stop to this by fitting a 6 foot fence, To which they responded by sunbathing on their shed roof from which they can now see us again, Please bear in mind that I am on about the so called adults here and not just the kids on the shed roof!

If we try to ignore them they start making noise and muttering behind the fence as if they're talking about us in 'that tone' where you just know they hope you hear them but they just havent got the balls to say it loud enough so you definately hear them... When we give in and turn to look at them they retreat into the house and start the curtain twitching from upstairs windows for a while til they think the coast is clear then they'll come back out for more sunbathing. We now feel we can't go in the garden and my wife feels like they're glaring at her when she goes outside to hang washing out to dry, She calls them perverts because they stare directly at her if she's out there in 'light clothing'.

Anything we do they complain to the council about, The fence I put up was reported to the council, Once the inspector came he as good as laughed because it was reported as being over 7 foor tall and in fact is less than 6 foot. If I park my car outside their house (which cannot possibly block their access due to a pathway running past the gates) I get complaints from the council and the police, I have had police out for a number of occasions to which they've said I haven't done anything wrong but they had to 'look into the report'.

Anything we do they try to copy, My wife started driving lessons so 'He' started driving lessons, If we go camping for a weekend they get a toy tent out & camp in the garden because none of them can drive! We put down a gravel area, they put gravel down.. The list goes on & on..

Now I do have CCTV camera's in my garden watching my car & Work van as we have had some incidents where pasing kids kicked off wing mirrors and slashed tyres on cars up & down our street. Up until we had the fall out they had no problem with my camera's and actually said it was a good thing. They knew the system I have in place and had no complaints about it back then.

Now recently things have gone from bad to worse, These people have some sort of disorder, They're spreading rumours about me and again reporting me to the council saying I have got camera's watching into people's windows and I have listening devices and they're all linked on set frequencies so I can listen to most of the street at one time, They say I've tapped into their telephone line and I'm using their line. They say I have got a camera on their Aerial so I can see all around. These accusations are unreal and after speaking to the new neighbours at Number 1 who was really scared and worried that some of these accusations might actually be true. I find there's more rumours but she didn't want to give more information and get involved as she could see how crazy they are at number 5 and feared reprisals. The new neighbour at number 1 did say they've tried and tried to convince her not to talk to me and that I'm to be avoided, but thankfully she's starting to see the light now aswell. They are blackening my name with no just cause, and I still haven't got a clue about most of what they've been saying about us.

I really despair at this situation, I cannot allow this to continue, The only good news is that the majority of the other neighbours either see through these lies or they too simply can't stand them at number 5 so will not speak to her and allow her to try spinning the yarn.

What can I do, I feel like They're dead set to cause as much grief as they possibly can, simply because they are benefit leeches (2 adults on Incapacity although there's nothing wrong with them and three kids with ADHD and they just need a bit of discipline) and can't find anything better to do with their time.

Does what they're doing ammount to harassment?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

And thanks for reading!

hackableFM...
If it has screws in it then don't buy it from Argos!
hackableFM

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby gardenlaw » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:39 am

It is indeed terrible to live in your situation. I do not think it amounts to harrassment in law. There actions are upsetting in their context but not unlawful in themselves.

I think youy can only continue to foster good relations with your other neighbours and try not to let those at 5 see you are upset in the hope they will get bored.
gardenlaw
Site Admin

Postby CanucksintheUK » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:03 am

Hello HackableFM - Alot of what you have said sounds oh so familiar! If the neighbours behaviour can be shown to be causing you undue stress and alarm, then it is harassment. However, getting the police to do anything - as the law is so vague - is hard. We did end up with one officer who was able to offer a caution under harassment or prosecution - and the nfh said he was guilty and chose the caution. But - before him, and after him - the officers were basically incapable or unwilling do investigate incidents. Many false allegations were made against us to police - and it eventually got to the point where they'd come over and say the same thing 'it's been reported, have to look into it' and then laugh the stuff off as being so bizarre.

Have you kept a log of all the incidents? If not, start keeping one now - and if something needs to be reported to the police - make sure you get an incident number and the officers badge number to add to the log as well. On your log - it is important to put down how the incident made you feel as well - ie - your wife being stared at constantly - how does this make her feel? This is where the undue distress and alarm comes into play.

We were advised by the police that often the problem just gets moved on - particularly on council estates - so it may well be that this family have a previous history - and rather than being dealt with the way they should be, they've been moved on. As our officers said 'your nfh is someone elses problem now' - as they have been moved on as well now.

As gardenlaw has said - just keep your relations with your other neighbours going, don't badmouth your neighbours at number 5 to them, and it doesn't take long for them all to see the truth. Once that happens, they're more likely to support you openly with the police/council as well. Good luck - it can be a long tough battle - but eventually, we do all get out of it one way or another.
CanucksintheUK

Postby despair » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:08 am

Give them something else to worry about

Report them to DSS for falsely claiming incapacity benefit and ADHD

Report them to tax people if they are working cash in hand

They are sad pathetic people who should be shunned by all and sundry

Your other neighbours are seeing through them so continue to be good neighbours to the others ........totally and utterly blank the NFH and if nessecary plant Leylandi or any other tall trees to block their view
despair

An Update...

Postby hackableFM » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:25 am

After spending hours on the net last night looking for information I heard of people posting things on their own property 'Notices' lets say.

After felling like there's nothing else the law or the council can do I decided to post a note of my own, The notice read....

"People are so intersted in my life, because they don't have a life and want to know all about me, Then they can go up and down the road spreading lies and making up stories to make themselves look good, They Simply don't have a life and need to live mine.

GET A LIFE!!!"

Now this was posted in the early hours of this morning, On an A4 sheet of paper in a place you wouldn't see from the roadside or anywhere unless you were looking over my fence from 'their' windows....

After I went outside for my first cigarette of the day before going to work I waited about 20 seconds for them to come to the window and read the sign. They promptly opened the window and started hurling abuse at me and calling me a pervert for having camera's and called me 'childish', they continued to make threats to kill and invited me onto a patch of grass for a fight! I ignored them and took out my mobile phone and called the police, at this they started to call me a 'Grass'.

The police arrived and went straight to their house, they admited 'over reacting' and claimed I provoked them to react, Well maybe I did provoke this by posting the sign but as I pointed out to the officer they wouldn't have seen it if they hadn't been spying on my every move, I also pointed out that this notice did not in any way refer directly to them or mention any names.

Basically, the outcome of this is that the police are not going to do anything other than 'speak' to them about their behaviour.... What else could I expect the police to do! They aren't interested really.

The good news is that the 'good' neighbours seen what was happening and a couple of them said we should get a petition together to get these 'nutters' shifted....

FM...
hackableFM

Postby Smithy XL » Fri May 09, 2008 9:58 am

Might be best to move mate, even if you feel like they have won.
Its not worth losing your peace of mind.
It was like that when I got here, Honest
Smithy XL

Postby cathlane » Fri May 09, 2008 1:15 pm

I would not move... when hell freezes over would i leave my home to appease these people!! i have to deal with the whispers and the the decending silence when i walk past because my neighbours are gossips who stretch the truth so far it's unrecognisable in the end all because i decided to renovate my garden!! deal with it! why should they ruin your life to make themselves happy?
p.s i have a son with adhd and if their kids really do have adhd then your comment about it was quite offensive-it is a condition and it's verry hard to live with!
cathlane

Postby Smithy XL » Fri May 09, 2008 2:54 pm

[quote="cathlane"]I would not move... when hell freezes over would i leave my home to appease these people!! i have to deal with the whispers and the the decending silence when i walk past because my neighbours are gossips who stretch the truth so far it's unrecognisable in the end all because i decided to renovate my garden!! deal with it! why should they ruin your life to make themselves happy?
p.s i have a son with adhd and if their kids really do have adhd then your comment about it was quite offensive-it is a condition and it's verry hard to live with![/quote

No wonder they talk about you Cathlane you don't stop.....SHOUTING!!!!!!
Smithy XL

Postby hackableFM » Fri May 09, 2008 5:18 pm

My post was offensive??

I find it offensive when I go out to work and pay my taxes, THEN some dysfunctional family next door take the complete piss out of my family & I, while claiming every benefit they can think of and waste the taxes I work so hard to pay! I find it hard to understand why there are so many people these days with this excuse of ADHD when this so called condition was easily dealt with in the olden days with a good old slap on the backside from a parent.

I Honestly feel sorry for those of you who might have a truly disabled child and have a GENUINE reason & diagnosis of any kind wether it's a physical or mental issue, I honestly feel for you but the truth is that there are so many people jumping on the bandwagon and claiming their child is ill simply so they can claim extra benefits. It makes the 'honest and decent' ones amongst you look like a bunch of leeches aswell.

I am not saying for one minute that your children have nothing wrong with them, But can anyone tell me if there was such a thing as ADHD back in the 60's for example?

Moderators & Admin, I apologise to you if this post is over the top but certain things need to be said. I am simply putting my feelings forward on the type of people I live next door to and not at any member here on this forum.

Anyway, An update on recent events about the original post... I got arrested recently, Yip I took the bait. I had a good night in with family and friends about a fortnight ago and I must admit I was a wee bit over the limit to walk never mind drive. The usual shanannigans went on next door so I went round to kickthe ...oops I mean knock on their door to see what their problem was. They hid inside and called the police which resulted in me getting arrested rather than them coming outside and 'kicking my head in' as they would usually threaten whilst in the comfort of their home and hanging out of the window. Funny how their actions don't come out when I call their bluff isn't it. Anyway, I am in no way proud of my actions nor am I proud of getting arrested especially since I have been so well behaved and ignored every snide comment and insult that has been thrown my way for the past couple of months.

hackableFM
hackableFM

Postby cathlane » Fri May 09, 2008 5:53 pm

not the place but have to say.....
ADHD exists it is a condition that severley affects the family, i too get annoyed at people who fasley claim benifits, like the alchaolic down the street who gets £150 a week for his cider... but thats another matter.
Im sorry the older generation are so blinkered, there were a lot of conditions not diagnosed or recognised in the 60's you know(like being addicted to cannabis!!!) i felt offended by it because you said the kids only needed some disipline well IF her kids do have ADHD then i can assure you thats not the case because only once you live with it then you will know how hard life can really be. and i felt you were taking out on the kids because the parents are a**h***S.
and i am not shouting, not even in my head as i write this i do not shout i just put a strong point/oppinion accross, i was defending you the fact that you should not move to appease the uneducated ingrates who live next door due to my own experience. ha perhaps you should move.
cathlane

Postby Smithy XL » Fri May 09, 2008 6:21 pm

T'was only kidding about the shouting as it goes, but its nice to know you weren't shouting, not even in your head. I shout quite often, well nearly all the time, but then again I am a market stall holder so that makes it okay.

POUND OF BANANAS!!!!!!!!!
Smithy XL

Postby cathlane » Sat May 10, 2008 10:00 am

thanx i am bhuddist so i do not shout although i used to run a flower stall too!
cathlane

Postby Smithy XL » Sat May 10, 2008 1:39 pm

Cathlane, I think shouting cleans the soul, sometimes I go to the top of the garden and shout something that's abit out of the blue, I feel a lot better for it. (I never do it after dark though, that would be a bit unfair on the elderly couple at number 24)
Smithy XL

Postby cathlane » Sat May 10, 2008 2:01 pm

i have a son with adhd, autisim amd dyspraxia who is upset by noise and does not understand feelings and emotions so it is pointless shouting there! my other son is deaf no need to shout there either and i am bhuddist and shouting in anger unsettles the soul, and that is what gets to my neighbours the most! i just stand there and take their abuse with good grace and even sometimes say thankyou!
cathlane

Neighbours from hell

Postby hoseyhosey » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:35 pm

There is a great website http://www.nfh.org.uk/ which has helped me a lot.

Don't get involved in dealing in dirt.
Just report each incident to the police, keep a log and READ THE ADVICE ON THE WEBSITE.

Remember, what goes round comes around.

Good luck

Hosey
hoseyhosey

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Your Garden