Annoying Neighbours.

Let everyone have the same pleasure as you derive from your garden -- or perhaps a friends garden

Re: Annoying Neighbours.

Postby auntsally » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:29 am

I can't believe what I've just read. I know your post is from 2008, but I think your lovely neighbours could be related to ours.

We have experienced identical problems to you! From the moment we moved here, our neighbours have been terrible.
Whenever we are in the garden they watch us from their upstairs window or come into their garden and do exactly the same us as..weeding, mowing, even drilling fences etc..they own a shop and we have had people come out of the shop and tell us they are spreading bad rumours about us. They even watch us from their shop window..even on christmas day to see who is coming here!!
They have reported us to the county council for various issues, which have all been unfounded. Car parking is a major issue. they 'rent' a garage across the road and it has been full of junk,but they have never used the garage. They allow anyone to park there except us. when we have parked there, they have gone to the police to make a complaint. They have also caused problems for the landlord of the pub on the other side of them. They have caused problems for the neighbours on our side. The list goes on. We are lucky as there are people in this village who have experienced this vindictive behaviour, so we are not alone, but we do feel isolated sometimes.
It seems to me that the Police and the Council have their hands tied and have to respond whenever they get reports from the public. Its about time the law changed, so that people must have a legitimate reason for reporting problems to the police and councils and are not allowed to waste police time or make anonymous reports to councils.

Best of luck...
auntsally

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:58 am

auntsally wrote:It seems to me that the Police and the Council have their hands tied and have to respond whenever they get reports from the public. Its about time the law changed, so that people must have a legitimate reason for reporting problems to the police and councils and are not allowed to waste police time or make anonymous reports to councils.

It cannot be cut and dry, services are there for everyone, we must never allow the minority to change a system which is supposed to be there for everybody.

Being able to report anonymously can be essential for some because a neighbour could be dangerous, but I do take your point on petty things being reported for no good reason. But then if it is just petty nonsense, the authorities won't do much.

There are no winners in these situations, just casualties who usually are the children who have heard mummy and daddy b1tch and moan for several years about someone, and witness their 'lovely parents' vindictively plot and scheme and occasionally break the law. The kids either become master manipulators like their dear parents, carrying out the bullying for their parents, deep down inside being hurt by the whole situation, or lose respect for them. Casualties tend to be on the outside as well as inside. The bully cares not about who they hurt deliberately, or inadvertently, being minors and indeed their own family.

Neighbour disputes will always occur, society often dictates perfection, on the flip side we celebrate bad behaviour. Children are more confused than ever before, they have more, but feel they have less?? Less parenting is evident in many cases, but social issues will become greater and neighbour problems will worsen as time goes on. Bad upbringing and double standards being rammed down the throats of the youth, do as I say, not as I do will create more social problems for everyone to suffer.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:01 pm

They sound like saddos. They obviously haven't got enough going on in their lives if they spend so much time watching you. I know it's difficult, but try to ignore them. They're looking for a response, don't give them one.

In their twisted way they will think they have a legitimate reason for reporting you and other neighbours. The authorities won't take any notice of trivial complaints.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:18 pm

I have to say, unless the neighbour genuinely was dangerous, why would anyone report anonymously anyway? Our sad neighbour reported us for things we hadn't done, she told the police not to come out as she only wanted to report stuff, a police officer told us this :roll:

If I felt I had to report something, I would give my name and address and I would not ask for it to be withheld, unless I was reporting a crime unrelated to me to crimestoppers.

Some need to report things which are made up to try and add some weight to the lies they are already spreading, been a victim of that myself, so know just how vile some can be.

If your neighbour is reporting you to the police or council, they will need evidence...think about it! How would the evidence have been gathered? :wink:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby auntsally » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:25 am

I take your point about the authorities being there to protect people who have a genuine complaint, but people who are at the receiving end of vindictive reporting need protection too. Many local authorities will not investigate anonymous complaints now due to human rights issues. The complaint has to be legitimate...there is no reason why someone has to report anonymously, when the council will protect their name/ address with the Data Protection Laws.

Its easy to say turn the other cheek. We do and never respond to these people. we ignore them completely and our children can see for themselves that their behaviour is at the best of times odd! I think children need to be a little more savy about who to avoid in life too. Even when our children are playing in the garden our neighbours watch them and when our children are bringing their bikes through the shared alleyway, the neighbours always watch them from their kitchen window....they are looking for trouble.
We had a visit from the police again this week. The Police had been told we had blocked their garage for 36 hours....another fairytale . They told police that nobody else parks in front of their garage, but I showed the police 6 months worth of digital photos I had taken of cars parked in front of the garage. So now at least the police are seeing the truth...Lets hope that the police will tell them to stop wasting their time or pass this problem on to someone senior.
auntsally

Postby arborlad » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:39 am

auntsally wrote: they 'rent' a garage across the road ............................. They allow anyone to park there except us..

If that garage has a parking space included in their rent, you can only use it with their permission.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:10 pm

The parking arrangement, whatever that may be is not worth fighting over. One neighbour here feels they can block our drive when they have the entire street to park on, yet they choose only one drop curb to park over, I do not retaliate, I do not stoop to their level, I ask for the car to move and I get on with my life. If they have nothing better to do than try and get my attention, what can I do to stop them obsessing over me other than ignore them? It isn’t worth my time or my husband’s time fighting over. We have learned through growing older and with experience of these things that no one gains a thing through fighting over petty rubbish.

A nice woman across the road keeps herself too herself for very good reason, she obviously sees what getting involved with certain neighbours would mean to her peace and quality of life. She sometimes looks out of her window for long periods, she is interested in what the day will bring, she monitors the weather to see if it is a good day or whatever. She has no children, two visitors in the whole world and when kids from the families who bully jump all over her garden, she stands there smiles and waves until they sod off. If anyone called her odd in way of making out she was something she isn't, I would say they are the odd ones for allowing their children to be so anti-social and quite frankly make the parents look like trash!

If they are in the wrong, let them be in the wrong and stay in the right. No better advice can be given. The police will believe what they want to beleive, but only if things go to court does both sides really get looked into. Evidence always speaks for itself, so gather it and keep it quiet. Keep on allowing them to play games 'if' that is what they are doing and have nothing more to do with them.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby auntsally » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:21 am

These people have been 'playing games' with a number of neighbours around them for a long, long time. They are notorious for it. A few of us have got together in the last few weeks and have confirmed that these people delight in making life very tricky for us. The landlord of the local pub has been reported the police and been reported to council authorities too. Our neighbours on the other side, who live away and come back now and then, have been reported to the home office for having an empty property..they have also been confronted over parking issues in the past. We have ignored these people for 3 years and it seems that this irritates them more than if we were confrontational.

We have discovered that the owner of the garage didn't know it was being rented,and that it is one of his tenants subletting. The garage owner has also had tricky moments with these people. He allows the tenant to sublet as he is a good tenant, which is perfectly fair. I do believe that things are beginning to unravel for them. People can't possibly behave like this, making so many enemies around them. One day they might need someone's help, and I very much doubt that anyone around here will be willing to assist them. In the meantime we will keep gathering evidence, just for our peace of mind. We always expect the worst, but at least we are prepared.
auntsally

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:53 pm

auntsally wrote:These people have been 'playing games' with a number of neighbours around them for a long, long time. They are notorious for it. A few of us have got together in the last few weeks and have confirmed that these people delight in making life very tricky for us. The landlord of the local pub has been reported the police and been reported to council authorities too. Our neighbours on the other side, who live away and come back now and then, have been reported to the home office for having an empty property..they have also been confronted over parking issues in the past. We have ignored these people for 3 years and it seems that this irritates them more than if we were confrontational.

We have discovered that the owner of the garage didn't know it was being rented,and that it is one of his tenants subletting. The garage owner has also had tricky moments with these people. He allows the tenant to sublet as he is a good tenant, which is perfectly fair. I do believe that things are beginning to unravel for them. People can't possibly behave like this, making so many enemies around them. One day they might need someone's help, and I very much doubt that anyone around here will be willing to assist them. In the meantime we will keep gathering evidence, just for our peace of mind. We always expect the worst, but at least we are prepared.

Some get too caught up in these situations. I have read worse to be fair, but then situations can always become worse the more time they are given.

There are far far worse people up and down the country and all over the world, that I am sure of. Your next neighbour could be a rapist or murderer, they may seem nice and you might invite them around for tea and never know.

Getting on with your life will probably anger the worst kind of neighbours, I know. Try to move, they try to make you stay. Don't allow yourself to become so important to them if you can help it, they are lifeless individuals if they are reporting lies. If they are not and have evidence, then someone else will end up looking stupid. Or if someone reports things annonymously and points the finger elsewhere, they might end up in trouble.

Spend as much or as little time on this as you feel comfortable with. Most time spent on these things is a waste unless you feel you can rid the planet of them for good. :wink:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby auntsally » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:07 pm

Our house has been on the market for the last few years...so as soon as we get a buyer we are out of here. We will be very careful not to invite any neighbours for tea until we have checked them out!!!....there are so many things happening in the world that are terrible. We know these people are very petty and it is sad that all they can do in their lives is to try and make other people unhappy. Thankfully we don't have time for this...but this forum is great as we have realised that we are not alone. Thanks for the advice :)
auntsally

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:43 pm

auntsally wrote:Our house has been on the market for the last few years...so as soon as we get a buyer we are out of here. We will be very careful not to invite any neighbours for tea until we have checked them out!!!....there are so many things happening in the world that are terrible. We know these people are very petty and it is sad that all they can do in their lives is to try and make other people unhappy. Thankfully we don't have time for this...but this forum is great as we have realised that we are not alone. Thanks for the advice :)

I wish you the best of luck with selling and moving away from these drains. It is easier said than done though, we would move in a heartbeat, but then they feel they should dictate who buys and how much for in their tiny minds, so it'll need luck for us too! :)

I don't think you ever know people in and out. The worst cases are usually people who have fooled everyone for years and years, a lifetime even. Fooled family friends and neighbours. Master manipulators are too friendly, too nice and too charming for people to spot what is really going on. :lol: I have known criminals and rough types and known whiter than white smarmy b@stards who have never so much as had a speeding ticket, they have been worse than anyone I have known who has been in trouble for petty things or made mistakes and turned their lives around.

Some of the most vile people I have ever met are sworn family types and they hide behind religion, status, family and anything they can to fool you into thinking they are better than others. I don’t fool so easily anymore. I am more wary of the so called righteous brigade than anyone else.

Try not to be too judgemental or keep everyone at arms length out of fear they will be like your neighbour, that is what they want after all, you fearing others. Best to see people in a good light until/if they let you down. Some people, who aren't as socially charming, wearing the right clothes, driving the right badge cars etc, are the ones with less to prove and therefore have less inclination to be part of a bullying clique.

Take a shameless self-promoting, social climbing, head treading know it all’s with the gift of the gab, and you will find someone who rehearses every boring word that comes out of their mouths. The ones who will fool you have had practice, their parents may be manipulators who keep people at arms length but show this unusually uncharacteristically nice charming smarmy side in shorts bouts. But you will never see these people in any lengthened period, they can’t keep it up!

You form your own opinions from how people treat you I think, if people wade in and upset you in any way they can from the word go, you know who to avoid. Those who don’t push on you or tell you everything you want to hear, well, they might actually be a person you can trust. You can’t go on hearsay or imperfections, you may find out your next neighbour has been in trouble for many things in the past, but they might not be the one who wants to hurt you. It could be a sweet little old lady down the road who talks behind you back everyday and gets her dog to crap on your lawn. :lol: There’s nowt as queer as folk!
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Previous

Return to Your Garden