Greenhouse tomatoes!

Let everyone have the same pleasure as you derive from your garden -- or perhaps a friends garden

Greenhouse tomatoes!

Postby chezan » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:29 pm

My elderly Mum has been too ill this year to grow tomatoes in her greenhouse, as she normally does, so I took over the job
for her, so she could still enjoy them. I'm very much a novice when it comes to greenhouses but we've had a really good tasty
crop, which is now drawing to a close. :( What I really need to know is, when should I start clearing out the plants from the
greenhouse? Some of the leaves are turning yellow, is that a sign that they are dying off, or is there some other reason? :?:
chezan

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby chezan » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:27 pm

Any advice on the above welcome...please :)
chezan

Postby katee » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:27 pm

have they any more fruit on them?

if so are they still ripening or staying green?

if they are staying green I would take off the green ones and clear out the greenhouse.

don't forget to use the green tomatoes to make some lovely chutney.

I have outdoor tomatoes and they are still giving several ripe tomatoes weekly.
katee

Postby chezan » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:08 am

Thanks katee :) There are a few tomatoes still on, and they are slowly ripening, but
some tomatoes are splitting from top to bottom and the leaves are going yellow. :?
chezan

Postby katee » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:34 pm

tomato split is caused by heavy watering after the plants have become very dry, the fruit has a sudden growth spurt and splits its skin. :shock:

yellowing leaves are usually caused by a magnesium deficiency, you can spray the leaves with a solution of Epsom salts and water for immediate affect then prevent any more yellowing by using a fertilizer containing magnesium.

its probably a bit late in the season to bother now, but bear it in mind for next year :)

neither problems are really serious.

if you want to clear out the greenhouse you can dig up the plants and hang them upside down in a warm light place to ripen the last fruits.
katee

Postby chezan » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:22 am

Thanks Katee :) As you say its a bit late this year, but I'll certainly bear that information in mind for next years crop.
I tried to be organised with the watering, with it not being at my home, I didn't have full control. Some days, when I
was working, I asked my brother to water them when he visited our Mum, but he often forgot, so they did dry out a
bit sometimes. We fed them with Tomorite.....which I believe contains magnesium? Maybe not fed regularly enough.
Ah well....we've certainly enjoyed the crop we've had and there are still lots more freshly ripened ones each day! :D
chezan

Postby katee » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:18 pm

Have a look at this.
http://www.twowests.co.uk/TwoWestsSite/ ... R_DRIP.htm

there are lots if irrigation systems around to help with watering.

why not make your own :idea:
katee

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Your Garden