Landlord's Electrical Safety Certificate

Landlords and tenants can share their problems and give each other mutual support

Landlord's Electrical Safety Certificate

Postby gardenlaw » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:34 am

I am a landlord but I am getting conflicting information on whether it is the law to have an electrical safety certificate issued on my rented house. Where can I find the current legislation regarding this?
gardenlaw
Site Admin

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby gardenlaw » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:36 am

The only legislation I am aware of which requires a landlord to obtain an electrical safety certificate is The Management of Houses in Multiple Occupation (England) Regulations 2006 which require landlords of HMO properties to obtain a certificate every five years.

The landlord is required to keep the installations for the supply of electricity in good repair under the repairing covenants in section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, but these do not require landlords to obtain a certificate.
gardenlaw
Site Admin

Re: Landlord's Electrical Safety Certificate

Postby ferdinand2000 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:37 am

gardenlaw wrote:I am a landlord but I am getting conflicting information on whether it is the law to have an electrical safety certificate issued on my rented house. Where can I find the current legislation regarding this?

People trying to sell you one (or tenants organisations?) will tell you that it is best practice, or it may help with/be a condition of insurance or letting in certain circumstances, such as to social housing providers.

Personally, I'd have an inspection done as and when I thought necessary to make me sure that I was meeting the obligation to have legal and safe electrics, for example when buying a property.

Ferdinand
ferdinand2000

Postby travistane » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:19 am

Certainly Electrical safety certificate is needed in which you are secured that your housing are generally safe. It attracts more rentals in your business.
travistane

Postby GaryA » Fri May 04, 2012 5:27 pm

Though every house shold be inspected and have a certificate issued every ten years.
The farm estate I work for lets loads of cottages, and the estate manager is happy to have an inspection every 5 years, and a look over/full inspection on tenant change.
GaryA

Return to Landlord and Tenant