How does a landlord increase the rent?

Landlords and tenants can share their problems and give each other mutual support

How does a landlord increase the rent?

Postby gardenlaw » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:54 am

I am a Landlord who has allowed an Assured Shorthold Tenancy begun August 2008 to run on as a Periodic Tenancy without a rent increase.

How much notice do I need to give and what forms do I need to use to a)increase the rent, or(b)create a new AST. Terms have been verbally agreed in principle.
gardenlaw
Site Admin

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby gardenlaw » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:56 am

The best thing to do is to get the tenant to sign a new AST. If the tenant refuses to sign a new agreement (which would be a bit odd if he has agreed terms) you can increase the rent using the statutory notice procedure. Here you need to serve the notice (which is in a prescribed form) giving a months notice. If the new rent is not challenged by the tenant by referring it to the Rent Assessment Panel for review, the new rent will take effect.

However if at all possible, I would suggest you try to get a new tenancy agreement signed.

See www.landlordlaw.co.uk for all the forms
gardenlaw
Site Admin

Re: How does a landlord increase the rent?

Postby travistane » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:54 pm

I agree make new agreement with the tenant and specify what your trying to explain about increasing the rent. Tenants have the right to know what are your basis on increasing the rent to avoid misunderstandings with your tenants.
travistane

Return to Landlord and Tenant