Non paying tenant

Landlords and tenants can share their problems and give each other mutual support

Non paying tenant

Postby catapult1 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:04 pm

My tenant has always paid her rent but it takes at least two weeks of constant phone calls every fortnight to get it.

She has not paid and made no effort to pay this month and was infact in arrears, due to damage she di, anyway so we served her with notice. She now has untill the 1st Sept.

I can just tell she isn't going to pay any more rent and is going to wreck the place.

I am all for tenants rights but when they are clearly in the wrong and are out to rip you off or damamge your property I think they should be given short notice.

Oh well lets hope the next one is a bit better...
My answers are not of a legal nature, only what I consider to be common sense.
catapult1

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Non paying tenant

Postby catapult1 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:42 am

Month two and no rent from the tenant.

I think a strong letter to her guarenteer is in order.
catapult1

Postby despair » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:00 pm

Surely you have a deposit against damage and not paying rent

I sure as heck would not let anything without a hefty security deposit
despair

Postby catapult1 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:14 pm

I have a months rent in deposit but by the time she goes she will owe 3 months!
catapult1

Postby despair » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:37 pm

Sadly then next time you will want at least 3 months rent as a deposit
despair

Postby Conveyancer » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:35 pm

despair wrote:Sadly then next time you will want at least 3 months rent as a deposit

Not really practical for most cases.
If you have benefited from advice on this site please consider contributing to a cancer charity.
Conveyancer

Postby despair » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:07 pm

If she has a Guarantor then yes a strong letter to them is an option
despair

Postby arborlad » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:20 pm

catapult1 wrote:My tenant has always paid her rent but it takes at least two weeks of constant phone calls every fortnight to get it....

I would make payment in advance by direct debit as a non-negotiable part of the terms.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby catapult1 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:31 am

Am update on my tenant...

The tenancy runs out 1st sept so we made arangements with her to do an inspection today. She wasn't there and said we were not allowed to go in the house.

However as per her tenancy we could and did. While we were sitting in the car two neighbours came over and said we were in for a shock. She had left the previous friday (into temperary accomodation provided by the LA).

The place is a sh!t hole. Bare wires hanging were light fittings should be, external air vents missing, dirt, rubbish, broken furniture (and condoms!!!) all over the house and garden. Carpets totaly ruined, dirt and greese over the walls. The burgler alarm system has been ripped out and along with the fridge freezer and washing machine we now no longer have a lawn mower. We can't turn the water on as when she stole the washing machine she just turned the water off and pulled it out!!! The garden if full of disgarded cr@p with fence pannels down.

There is over £700 of debt on the electric meter and god knows how much on the gas.

We don't know where she has gone and the LA won't tell us so we have diddlies of recouping the cost of the clean up.

Other than WHY do some people behave like this, I don't have a question I just wanted to vent. Sorry
catapult1

Postby despair » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:24 pm

Some people simply do not deserve to live anywhere but under a railway arch

Soon she will rip off the LA
despair

Postby jencast » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:04 pm

My heart goes out to you, catapult. I couldn't imagine the emotional turmoil and financial pain this is costing. Most of the landlords, use these buy to lets as part of their pension building security for retired years. To have a tenant destroy, vandalise and cause harm to our best laid plans is unthinkable and I am not referring to normal wear and tear! I have been kind to my tenants only to have my good nature abused and my property destroyed. I have decided to take a harder line against letting, and if they can't find the deposit, then I don't want to risk my property. We've been fooled by the well intentioned, the sob stories and the bravo and we have had enough. Rents will continue to rise as we have to build into the rents the cost for unscrupulous tenants. Best of luck to you.
jencast

Postby katee » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:10 pm

Having rented out properties in the past I understand your frustrations catapult1.

I presume you are renting 'off your own back' as it were, i think these are the emotional pitfalls you may have to endure I'm sorry to say.

We have in the past rented through an agent, yes, they take a commission and find you tenants. BUT,
We found that between tenants, the tidying up of the properties was somewhat difficult on a personal basis.

Anyhoo, we are now re-entering the letting market and are taking a different tack, we have been in touch with our local council (Cornwall) and have enquired about their letting services, it seems they have a new scheme coming up whereas we sign properties over to the council for a minimum of two years and they rent and maintain them for us.
If the properties are empty they still pay, we get ALL the rental payment, no commissions are paid !!!

Sounds good ? the only stipulation I can see is that, once we sign to the council, we keep our noses out.

Sounds fine to us.

Maybe see what your council can offer you?

Good luck.
katee

Postby jencast » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:24 am

That's a great scheme-wonder if Devon has a similar plan. It could help the housing shortage without all the headaches. Can you tell us the name of the scheme in Cornwall? Will the council defend rights of ways or at least alert the property owner, if something is awry? Thanks for sharing.
jencast

Postby Mojisola » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:44 am

catapult1 wrote: The burgler alarm system has been ripped out and along with the fridge freezer and washing machine we now no longer have a lawn mower. We can't turn the water on as when she stole the washing machine she just turned the water off and pulled it out!!!y

Have you reported the theft to the police?
Mojisola

Postby dave-9 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:21 pm

i rent out several propertys and have never taken a deposit all our on dss which gets paid directly to me and would not do it any other way that way your gauranteed the rent the only time i got stitched up was with a tennant that worked he just avoided us till i gave up chasing him and entered the property to find he had done one the trouble is a lot of people just don t have a deposite and a months rent in advance to give up front and i could nt afford to have them left empty so i wavier the deposite and let them decorate them themselfs just a months rent upfront this methode works well and a have been lucky with tennents i dont see what diffrence having a deposite makes if you get a difficult tennent who stops paying rent by the time you get them out months have passed by and your out of pocket regardless i think not asking for a deposite gets you a better relatioship with the tennent and if you do get a problem pay some kind chaps to pay them a visite
i think tennents have to many rights and you very realy hear people who rent properties have anything good to say about there landlords all part of renting game i guess

i hope you have better luck in the future with your next tennents
dave-9

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Landlord and Tenant