Non paying tenant

Landlords and tenants can share their problems and give each other mutual support

Re: Non paying tenant

Postby despair » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:22 pm

I understood that DSS no longer paid rents direct to landlords ...........hence why many people were giving up on Buy to Let
despair

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby Mattylad » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:57 am

My daughter got her rent cheque in the name of her landlord to give direct to him.

I think I may have once lived next to Catapults ex tenant, does she have horrible teeth and even horribler kids? I moved house pdq, I heard she trashed the house just the same. Some people are just so uncivilised and the rest of us end up paying for them.
Any comments I give here are my own opinions, for legal advise check with a qualified solicitor.
Mattylad

Postby catapult1 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:51 am

Mattylad wrote:My daughter got her rent cheque in the name of her landlord to give direct to him.

I think I may have once lived next to Catapults ex tenant, does she have horrible teeth and even horribler kids? I moved house pdq, I heard she trashed the house just the same. Some people are just so uncivilised and the rest of us end up paying for them.

I don't know if she had horrid teeth I never met her. It was done through an agent. I kept getting told she wasn't as bad as was made out!! I have since found out all sorts of things went on.

If you used to live in Rowner, then you could be the lady who moved because of her antisocial behavour.

I shall be keeping a closer eye on the next one.
My answers are not of a legal nature, only what I consider to be common sense.
catapult1

Postby angelpie » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:55 pm

sorry to hear of your troubles, it gives us good renters a bad name!! cant you send solicitors letters to LA (i have no idea what la is?) for them to pass on maybe if they didnt help they could get in trouble? i would take lots of photos get the police round and c a solicitor asap. ive rented for 19 years and only at 4 places always looked after them well always had to put a month down and security deposit and had guarentor never been any different in my second place i even put a new kitchen , bathroom, flooring decorated every year and re landscaped the garden etc in- with permission of course! even though they arent my houses i treat them like they were if you know what i mean! good luck sounds like youve got a fight on your hands :roll:
angelpie

Postby Mattylad » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:53 pm

So what can a landlord do if a tenant leaves, perhaps with no monies owing but the 12 month tenancy unfinished?

(My son needs to get out of his 12 month contract for his uni digs as he is taking a year out).
Any comments I give here are my own opinions, for legal advise check with a qualified solicitor.
Mattylad

Postby jencast » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:03 am

I am a private landlord and my tenant is vacating early to be closer to home. They have stopped paying rent, but I plan to pursue them for back rent til the end of the tenancy and also go after their guarantor. When I file in small claims court and get a CCJ, I will send a baliff around to their homes and work. A CCJ will minimize their chances of getting another landlord in the same situation. I will also ask the courts to garnish their wages until the debt is paid off, but not sure UK courts do this. Of course, the CCJ will be reported to the credit agencies.
I hate having to do this, but I am afaird that in this tough economic times, more tenants are going to be in rent arrears.
I a uni student had to vacate his tenancy early, could he not find a subletter to take over his tenancy? At least the landlord would know he is trying to be responsible. Fyi, Subletting does not release him from the contract if his subletter defaults. Suggest your son think this thorough very carefully or it may ruin his future credit.
jencast

Previous

Return to Landlord and Tenant