Eviction of rioters

Landlords and tenants can share their problems and give each other mutual support

Eviction of rioters

Postby ukmicky » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:26 pm

Can councils evict tenants under the clauses in the housing act 1985 & 1998 if someone in their household is convicted of rioting or are the councils in general onto a loser when you consider the actual wording of the clauses and article 8 of the human rights act.
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
ukmicky

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Eviction of rioters

Postby despair » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:54 pm

Heaven only knows but if the Human Rights Act protects the rioters would someone please tell me what protects the victims

The whole scenario was a total disgrace and they should throw the book at the lot of them inc their parents
despair

Postby ukmicky » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:01 pm

I agree they should throw the book at them ,however if they were to win an eviction action using the housing act it could then open the flood gates with eviction actions being taken out for only minor offences.

It would also not be right for a whole family to be evicted due to the behavior of one member.

Yes,the courts also must consider article 8 if asked to.

TBH i think they will have a real fight on their hands trying to evict any of the riotors and feel its just a ploy to scare people.
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
ukmicky

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:53 am

I would like to see the rioters locked in a building to be burned down by the victims.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby gardenlaw » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:42 am

Nothing too serious then Will!
gardenlaw
Site Admin

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:22 pm

gardenlaw wrote:Nothing too serious then Will!

:lol:

These 'people' ruined homes and businesses, people died, I would hope the worst offenders get a long sentence for organising these riots and causing death and destruction. It was nothing more than the worst thugs and scum in neighbourhoods jumping on a bandwagon. I thought it was disgusting. I think some people would like to see the homes of those families set on fire and watch them have to run out in to the night with their children. I would like to see them evicted and all benefits withdrawn for the ones claiming them.

The local supermarket was full of the big spenders the other day, all paying cash. I was laughing with the manager of the supermarket who even remarked that he thought it might be the looters spending their hard earned money. There were queues a mile long with trollies piled high, most of these people were paying cash, £300-£400 a trolly some of them. If you shouted out ‘looter money’ there might have been a stampede! :lol:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby juliet » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:55 am

Secure (council) tenants can only be evicted with a court order as per the 1988 Housing Act. All evictions are in line with this and not outside of it. (There are some mandatory grounds (rent arrears) but no-one hardly ever uses those so they rely on a judges decision). Judges are scared of evicting people as well. And then eviction means you are in the territory of the Human Rights Act as mentioned.....even scarier :lol:
juliet

Postby juliet » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:04 am

Government thinking the same way....

A new mandatory power for ASB which would be impressive

http://www.info4local.gov.uk/documents/ ... ns/1959469
juliet

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Landlord and Tenant