I have a tenant from hell.

Landlords and tenants can share their problems and give each other mutual support

I have a tenant from hell.

Postby Janieb » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:35 pm

How do I get rid of him.

It started because he needed an occasional roof over his head. I was happy with this and it worked out well. He's a friend and helped me out with one or two things.

He has a legal contract and I've been paid rent for the room.

Now he's had a major bust-up with his girlfriend 'cos he had an affair. He now turns up very drunk whenever he feels like it. He seems to think he is the boss in my house. He spends hours in the middle of the night talking to someone who isn't there, throws food at my dogs (I do not live in a medieval castle), rings me persistantly on a phone that no longer works (it got wet). I like a nightcap before I go to bed and had a scotch. I went to the loo and when I took my next sip he couldn't understand why I was upset that it had been topped up with cider (it's still alcohol!).

I locked him out of the house the night of the bust-up. He complained to the police who rang me. They sympathised but said I had to let him back in.

Although I still need a lodger, I think I need my life back more.
"I prefer rogues to imbeciles, because they sometimes take a rest" Alexandre Dumas (fils)
Janieb

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: I have a tenant from hell.

Postby span » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:28 pm

Janieb wrote:He has a legal contract and I've been paid rent for the room.

What does the contract say about leaving?
span

Re: I have a tenant from hell.

Postby Janieb » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:38 pm

28 days notice. But surely I should have some safeguards in law when he's living in my house and not a separate flat/apartment. He's also lost his key so bangs on the door at any time of the day or night to be let in. Myself and a business partner work from an office in the house and we cannot work when he's here as he is such a pest.

I'm now also worried as he hasn't appeared since he left the house yesterday morning. I don't have his new number (he's ringing me on a phone that doesn't work). His girlfriend threw his original phone away.
"I prefer rogues to imbeciles, because they sometimes take a rest" Alexandre Dumas (fils)
Janieb

Return to Landlord and Tenant