social housing landlords and assured tenants rights

Landlords and tenants can share their problems and give each other mutual support

social housing landlords and assured tenants rights

Postby inspire » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:06 pm

1)whose responsibility in law to reinstate a outside wc the landlord or the tenant? 2)is there regulation as to how many wc there is to the number of person residing in a property?
inspire

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: social housing landlords and assured tenants rights

Postby Mattylad » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:53 pm

Do you have an internal WC?

AFAIK there is no obligation on domestic residences requiring a certain number of toilets/persons.

How many do you have in the house?
Mattylad

Postby inspire » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:16 pm

Yes we do have a wc inside we are a family of eight two adults and six children 3 girls 3 boys (9,9,7,6,4,3 respectivley), the property has original shared access to a passage corridor shared by three terracces, the wc outside were three we believe the outside three wc were for each terrace property but is presently a shed but has the drains and has lead water pipes that look like they have been capped.

we would want to reinstate a toilet as its on our garden (we are tenants) the landlord has given permission but we were concerned and hoping to get some part or full payment from the housing assocaition on the grounds of occupancy and previous provision of toilets.

What we are worried about is if the other houses will want to lay claim to use, as we have a shared passage:

we also want the housing association to take some responsibility according to the Decent homes reg2010 there is i believe reading through the policy points reagrarding safety , security and health and wellbeing
inspire

Postby Mattylad » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:05 pm

I cannot believe that in this day and age someone would want to have an outside WC back.

Society has moved on a bit and we have inside toilets now, if you are struggling then someone is taking too long to have a dump. (I have a large family too).
Mattylad

Postby catapult1 » Fri May 04, 2012 7:44 am

I doubt that having an outside loo has anything to do with descent homes unless it is a health hazzardI and because it has been capped I doubt it very much.

If you just want another loo then you might not be in luck or have to do the work (with the landlords permission) yourself.

How many bedrroms and common rooms does your house have? ie 3 bedrooms, lounge and dinning room?

Children only count as 1/2 a person so at this point you may not have the occupancy you think.

How long has the toilet been out of opperation? How long ago and how long have you lived there?

It could be a case that they only have to provide one and you have that inside. The other is your choise so may have to cover the costs yourself.

I know some LL, HA or LA say you can do stuff like this but then have to remove it once you leave!!! So I would check that before going ahead.
My answers are not of a legal nature, only what I consider to be common sense.
catapult1

Return to Landlord and Tenant