Maintenance of Council Owned Path/Driveway

Landlords and tenants can share their problems and give each other mutual support

Maintenance of Council Owned Path/Driveway

Postby Jo_07 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:55 am

I`m not sure if this is in correct section but I would appreciate any advice on this issue.
I have lived in my council owned home for over 20 years. It is at the end of a block of 4, in a quiet village. The issue I have is with the driveway/footpath that is situated at the side of the house; it goes right up the side, up to the rear of the property then there is a hardstanding area where I park.
The other two neighbours (who have bought their houses) have pedestrian access to get to the back gardens of their properties and we all get on well & there are no issues with access from them, nor do I mind them walking or cycling up and down. I also have made it clear that I don`t mind at all if they have deliveries such as logs & the drivers can park at the back to make it easier.
My issue is with the L.A. and the upkeep of this land that belongs to them. I made a complaint to the L.A. because the drive/footpath is just mud, there is no surface at all and there is no drainage so when we have wet spells it is impassible unless you are wearing wellies. I did put gravel on it quite a few years ago but this has now disappeared of course. There are so many huge dips that I am driving to the side so that I don`t scrape the underside of my car. I have seen my window cleaner slip whilst trying to walk up carrying his ladders etc. and I have told the council that it is dangerous to walk on the surface. I also pointed out to them that the other houses they own in the area all have concrete driveways & this was unfair, I know mine is much longer than most but it is just pure accident that mine was built this way originally; it just so happened that mine was an entrance to a field so the layout kind of incorporates the old gateway to the field. I also would not want to spend a lot of money upgrading land I do not own.
As far as I know regarding the legal position, the land is owned by the L.A., I have seen a copy of deeds that belonged to a neighbour who lived next door years ago & they state that the other two houses have `pedestrian access`. As far as the upkeep goes I am not sure about any clauses that may be included with the 2 sets of neighbours who live there now - whether they have anything in there stating that they have got to contribute financially to the upkeep but they havn`t said so.
The L.A. have agreed they will have to improve it, their answer is to fill the holes with hardcore & compact it. My position is that I still don`t think this is an acceptable surface for a footpath. I am not asking for key blocks, just the same surface that all the other council properties in this City have. The council wouldn`t allow any new properties to be built with such poor footpath arrangements so I don`t know why they think it is acceptable for them to allow this one to be so bad.
I am about to get back in touch with them and say I don`t find their remedy acceptable and I know I can go to the Ombudsman eventually if I choose.
Any advice appreciated.
Jo_07

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Maintenance of Council Owned Path/Driveway

Postby despair » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:04 pm

Given the parlous state of many LA finances these days i am not surprised at the situation
Equally in many instances LA tenants are hardly paying realistic rents
This may not apply in your case but maybe the neighbours who also have pedestrian rights could get together with you and find a way to fund a better surface that you all benefit from
despair

Postby Jo_07 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:05 pm

despair wrote:Equally in many instances LA tenants are hardly paying realistic rents

You may be surprised at how much rent I do pay, and I do pay full rent and council tax, I work full time, always have and don`t claim any benefits, this is a housing benefit free zone.
Plus I don`t think people who rent from a private landlord would be expected to pay to maintain a path that they don`t own. I have also checked with a neighbour today and they have no mention in their legal bumph of any contribution towards the maintenance towards this path that they use very infrequently. In fact, my neighbours who live next to me havn`t walked down it since they moved in last summer, only a couple of deliveries of logs.
Jo_07

Postby despair » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:57 pm

Every area and every council is different

In my area private rent of a 1 bedroom flat is £650 a month minimum and its not London or even near

The Council or HA 2 or 3 bed houses in same area are definitely not paying anything near that
despair

Postby Jo_07 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:50 pm

This wasn`t a question about rents, it was about the path :?
Jo_07

Return to Landlord and Tenant