Freeholder bullying me.....

Landlords and tenants can share their problems and give each other mutual support

Freeholder bullying me.....

Postby Denny » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:45 pm

This is an unusual situation. I am a sitting tenant of a studio flat in a large house, comprising 6 flats in total (the rest are not sitting tenancies and two of them are in annexes with their own front door. The other four are in what I call the 'main part of the house'), the current freeholder for the entire house also used to be landlord of all tenants, including me. I was his direct tenant paying him rent under the Rent Act 1970. He was awful and we hated each other and still do and he did everything possible to lie, cheat his way into gaining vacant possession of my flat - including drumming up false witnesses to say I had bullied neighbours and prevent access to vital workman (none of it true). He failed, despite a protracted civil dispute costing me thousands and costing him thousands more in compensation plus costs. In 2010 he decided to sell of some of the flats off. Mine was sold to an investment company, with me as a sitting tenant; the flat next to mine was sold to a separate landlord who relies upon an insitu Assured Shorthold tenant. Lately, the freeholder sold off the top floor flat to a professional couple who intent to live in the property themselves. Someone else owns the ground floor flat. The main part of the house is not landlorded by the freeholder anymore. The landlord also sold off some car parking spaces outside to these new owners and my own new landlord also gave me permission to use the back garden too, which is communal except for two parts of it fenced off for private use to two annexed tenants who do not live in the main house and have their own front doors (the freeholder's daughter, being one of them). Unfortunately, the freeholder now sees fit to prevent my own landlord's workman, carrying out work on my flat, to get vital ladder access to myh bathroom window, via the back garden where it requires access through his daughter's sectioned off garden space to put a ladder against the wall. The only way it can happen. E.g., my landlord needed to fit a new boiler in my bathroom and he needed to fit some sort of vent to the outside of my window and needed to pitch a ladder against the outside of my bathroom to get to my bathroom window. He had to go through the communal back garden part, which is fine, and then into the sectioned off private area of the garden to place the ladder in the correct place against the wall. He had no other access route. When he tried to retrieve his ladder, after finishing his work by asking the freeholder's daughter if he could enter her garden area to get it, she refused him access, shouted and threatened to call the police to have the workman prosecuted for trespassing. So I marched into the garden, into her garden space too, to get it for him. Today, another workman to my flat needed to complete some internal bathroom repairs and the freeholder's daughter just marched into the main part of the house with her key (which she does not live in or need access to) and ordered the workman to remove his van from the car parking space outside, claiming it was her private use space (the car park spaces have never been allocated piece by piece). Yet I had told him he could use a space whilst he was here and he could not park on the road because he had no permit to park. It is clear to me that the freeholder (my ex-bullying landlord) is using his own daughter to harrass my new landlord's workman to prevent, hinder them from carrying out vital repairs to my flat. I have now told the freeholder that I intend to change the front door lock to the main part of the house with the agreement of the other owners of the flats inside the main part of the house, including mine, to stop her from trespassing inside by using a key. This is not the only thing the freeholder is doing either. When my new landlord told me that I could use the communal areas of the back garden (which he denied to me when the freeholder was my own landlord) he refused to send a key to the landlord, despite numerous requests. In the end I had to get a copy from a neighbouring tenant, otherwise I still would not have access to the garden or other vital parts of my flat (TV arial, outside bathroom window etc). What this amounts to is that the freeholder is still a bullying landlord, like before, except he is effectively bullying my landlord instead of me directly to still get at me. He also arranges freeholder works to the exterior of the house without telling my landlord or me, which sometimes involves his workman shinning up ladders peering into my flat with no prior notice that will be using a long ladder. If I am in bed or in a state of undress and the curtain are open they could easily invade my privacy. What can I do to stop this bullying? :( Your help would be appreciated.
Denny

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Freeholder bullying me.....

Postby MacadamB53 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:36 pm

Hi Denny,

The only way it can happen. E.g., my landlord needed to fit a new boiler in my bathroom and he needed to fit some sort of vent to the outside of my window and needed to pitch a ladder against the outside of my bathroom to get to my bathroom window.

how about taking the window out? (just thinking of alternatives...)

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby Denny » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:39 pm

That is not going to work. The windows are very old and they are not removeable and would create too much mess and probably be more trouble than its worth. Plus there are other access issues to do with TV ariels, the roof etc that can't be addressed with practical solutions like this.

I am looking for advice and and an answer that will point the way to tackle head on the abuses of the freeholder and his daughter, not practical but unworkable solutions that merely serve to appease these bullies. I just hope there is one. Perhaps someone has knowledge of the law and what action I could take to prevent these bullies from continuing the way they are?
Denny

Postby arborlad » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:52 pm

arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby Denny » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:01 am

I am still looking for a decent reply that is going to help. Not jokers like the last two posters who are clearly playing silly games with me.
Denny

Postby jonahinoz » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:17 am

Hi,

Me? I would ask the CAB if any of your problems could be considered "harressment" (which is a crime).

John W
jonahinoz

Postby MacadamB53 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:39 am

Denny wrote:I am still looking for a decent reply that is going to help. Not jokers like the last two posters who are clearly playing silly games with me.

Hi Denny,

since the above is referring to me I must assert that I am not "playing silly games" with you at all.

my suggestion to take the window out is a serious one and was given as a "quick fix" for your immediate problem whilst I digest your (difficult to read) post and the other posts from 2013 - the ones arborlad helpfully provided a link to.

would you like me to provide a considered response or not?

if you would then please apologise for insinuating I am "playing silly games".

I completely understand you're finding your situation extremely stressful but please don't channel it in my direction - surely you're better than that.

Upset regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby span » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:21 pm

Holy cow Denny, you've upset Mac. How did you do that? He's got a skin thicker and tougher than a rhino - I've been trying to upset him for years now (well, seems like years) and I've come nowhere close to what you've done.

Anyhoo, I haven't yet checked out that link to the other thread, so in the meanwhile tell me - why do you think you have the right to enter into someone's else's private garden?
span

Postby COGGY » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:45 pm

Hi Denny

Whilst I am sorry to hear of the problems you are experiencing it does not appear that you are helping yourself. Unless a right to enter an adjoining property is shown in the deeds then normally such a right does not exist. If you/your workmen need to enter the garden belonging to your ex-landlord's daughter why are you attempting to deny her the right to enter the main part of the house? If your ex-landlord denied you the use of the garden whilst he was your landlord, then presumably this was a condition of your tenancy?

You would be well advised, in my opinion, to attempt to foster better relations with your ex-landlord and his daughter, if it is not already too late. You may not like them but it appears that you are dependant on their goodwill. Diplomacy appears to be needed. You need help from them so it really is not wise to allienate them.

Kind regards
Coggy
COGGY

Postby MacadamB53 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:18 am

span wrote:I've been trying to upset him [Mac] for years now (well, seems like years)
:shock:
:(
:P
try harder
:mrgreen:
MacadamB53

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Landlord and Tenant