Are you affected by hose and sprinkler Ban ?

Are you affected by hose and sprinkler Ban ?

Postby despair » Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:35 pm

Are you affected by this ban so early in the season

Will your garden curl up and die as a result

Is the problem solely low reservoir levels /closed reservoirs or is it really the fact that way too many houses have been built in your area and thus the demands on water levels are more than the system can cope with

If you have a water meter do you think its fair to also have a hosepipe ban placed on you

Do you conserve all the rain water you can in Water Butts
despair

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby Cytania » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:46 pm

>Will your garden curl up and die as a result?<

No, in most cases plants will look like horrid dishrags but recover fully once decent rain arrives. (The effect of fungal 'wilt's on trees year after year is another matter.)

>Is the problem solely low reservoir levels /closed reservoirs or is it really the fact that way too many houses have been built in your area and thus the demands on water levels are more than the system can cope with?<

For the South of England both are true. Yes rainfall has been very low and yes housing development has reduced the headroom, the comfort zone, between plentiful supplies and drought.

>If you have a water meter do you think its fair to also have a hosepipe ban placed on you?<

If there simply isn't enough water around there's no point maintaing 'I'm metered, I can pay for it, give it to me!' Water companies simply can't summon up more water and we need it more for drinking/washing than we do gardens.

>Do you conserve all the rain water you can in Water Butts?<

Yes but like reservoirs if there's no rain for a long period all you end up with is an empty water butt. Water butts make use of rain but you need to use them on the garden - they aren't a miser's store.

Overall look on the drought as a filter that will sort tough drought-hardy plants out from the tender water-guzzling specimens.
They cut down all the trees, put 'em in a tree museum and charged all the people just to see 'em
Cytania

Postby despair » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:47 pm

To change a very large garden to totally drought tolerant plants on Sandy soil is a huge expense

I agree that water extraction due to too many houses being built plus poor water resources management etc along with poor rainfall is the cause

That should not mean anyone with a large garden should suddenly face a huge loss when they are already extremely careful with water consumption .......hence the reason they opted for a meter in the 1st place

When a water company is loosing thousands of gallons in leaks and some consumers are being profligerate with water use its unfair to target those who genuinely are careful mainly because they pay for every gallon they use
despair

Postby beagle » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:34 pm

How many thousand children around the world will have died from lack of clean drinking water by the time we all go to bed tonight ?

Yes a hosepipe ban is an irritation but living in a country prosperous enough that we can have ornamental gardens and wet enough that we don't have to artificially irrigate them most of the time and with a good enough water infrastructure that we can water them if it doesn't rain is a privilege/good fortune/ what you will.

Sometimes looking at the world around us rather than just obsessing over our own tiny patch of it is a salutory lesson.
beagle

Postby despair » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:07 pm

"ornamental garden "!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If only mine was its food production for many months !!!

I cant replace that with drought tolerant plants

As for parts of the world in constant drought sadly nothing i do can change that

It wont be long before the UK becomes the 3rd world the way things are going
despair

Postby beagle » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:13 pm

despair wrote:"

It wont be long before the UK becomes the 3rd world the way things are going

Just out of curiosity ........... what would you do to prevent us sliding into thirdworld-dom ?
beagle

Postby despair » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:18 pm

Stop transferring all the call centres to India for starters

plus a total change of attitude to taxation from the Government
despair

Postby beagle » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:20 pm

despair wrote: plus a total change of attitude to taxation from the Government

More or less ?
beagle

Postby Conveyancer » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:41 pm

despair wrote:plus a total change of attitude to taxation from the Government

Hear Hear! Abolish VAT and increase income tax.

Oh and a very heavy tax on hedges. :P :D :P
Conveyancer

Postby despair » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:55 pm

Nope

Get rid of all the extra Civil servants taken on to administer daft ideas like tax credits

All of which is costing far more to administer than is providing benefits to those who deserve it

The cost to the general tax payer and companies is thus way too high simply to cover administration
despair

Postby beagle » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:05 pm

despair wrote: daft ideas like tax credits

All of which is costing far more to administer than is providing benefits to those who deserve it

As someone who briefly received tax credits (yes, it was a case of genuine need and no I am no longer 'spongeing off the state' before you suggest it) I have to say they worked fine for us.

The helpline was answered within three rings every time, the assessment was really fast, the money arrived almost immediately and was much more than we would have received under the previous regime. Best of all it was linked to me working so I had every incentive to keep on working as our family income was boosted by the tax credits, there was no danger of falling into the 'benefits trap' of old.

The only downside was that they accidentally paid us for one month too may and we had to return the money but we didn't (and certainly wouldn't) complain as we were no longer entitled to it.

I know not everyone has had such a positive experience with tax credits but 'credit where credits due'.
beagle

Postby despair » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:13 am

The problem with tax credits is for every £1 given out its costing £2 to administer it

The total money would be better spent increasing the level of benefits and when it comes to pension credits restoring the link of state pension to earnings

Theres an awful lot of very genuine pensioners who have worked hard all their lives have very small savings yet thats enough to deny them pension credits
These people are living hand to mouth and wondering why they ever struggled to save at all

The civil servants whose numbers have ballooned under this Government now all have gold plated pensions which the rest of us are going to be paying through the nose for till kingdom come
despair

Postby Conveyancer » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:40 am

Someone who is 70 and started working in 1950 will have spent 35 years working under Conservative rule, so it is hardly surprising if they have only managed to scrape a pittance together to see them through old age.
Conveyancer

Postby despair » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:02 am

And under this lot plenty of people have seen their company pensions disapear altogether despite the so called law that was supposed to protect them and stop another Maxwell scenario , others have private pensions worth less than they have paid in to them

Dear Gordon Brown has added to that by ripping off 5 billion a year off Pension Funds

As for savings ......most people see no point since if you have savings you are copped out of all benefits should you be in a situation to need them
despair

Postby beagle » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:32 pm

despair wrote:most people see no point since if you have savings you are copped out of all benefits should you be in a situation to need them

But thats the whole point of many of the new benefits like the 'credits' system..........you aren't penalised for having saved. The main charities campaigning for pensioners agree that one of the biggest problems is low take-up among pensioners, many of whom are either unaware of what they may be entitled to or unwilling to claim. A flat-rate pension that is significantly higher than at present would help but it would also help those who don't need it because for example they have a civil service pension.
beagle

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to News