Are you affected by hose and sprinkler Ban ?

Postby mark1 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:42 pm

I am again affected by the hose and sprinkler ban and not for the first time. In the 1970's we had to use tankers parked in the street for our water and now it will be stand pipes. I can manage without bathing and having a strip wash instead but because I have a disability I will miss using the washing machine.

I can also remember when a tap washer etc. needed changing the local water board would do it for you free of charge so that water was not wasted if you were unable to do these things yourself. But of course Margaret (the milk snatcher) Thatcher decided everything should go private.

When I worked for a government dept. we had to appear to encourage everyone to make claims for benefits and pensions and then when they did apply we had to work ourselves silly to find ways of making sure that they were not entitled.
mark1

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Hose ban - facts

Postby Me » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:46 pm

The outdoor tap accounts for 4% of all household water usage yet comes in for 100% of the restrictions - only because the water compnaies have a statutory obligation to deliver water to the home. So, indoors, you can leave taps running, put on the washing machine with a half load, use a power shower or take 6 baths a day all without intervention. Then there's industry and agriculture which use a lot more water than homeowners do. In fact the outdoor tap uses less than 1% of all water abstracted if you also include the water supply leaks.

So punishing gardeners alone looks like unjustifiable victimisation - especially since gardeners can usually be counted on to improve the environment.

By the way, there's no such thing as a "hosepipe ban". The water companies have no power under the Water Industry Act 1991 to ban many domestic hosepipe uses. So you can still use a hose to fill a pond or swimming pool, to clean windows, to hose down the garage floor and even to connect up a pressure washer. How daft! All this goes on while gardeners can't even keep use the hose on vegetables or new turf.

While there is such iniquity I can't see gardeners taking kindly to the hose bans however bad the water shortage is. Everyone should share the burden. Instead, the Environment Agency sacrifices gardeners - and the horticultural industry - to a massive publicity stunt.

The good news is that rainfall in the south east has been above average in February and March - 173% of average in the worst-hit areas of Kent and Sussex - so the prospects are better than they were. Pity the water companies didn't keep to their word in February when they said that above average rainfall would avoid the need for more bans.
Me

Postby despair » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:42 pm

Actually

Washing cars and filling swimming pools IS BANNED as a part of the hosepipe ban in our area and i thoroughly agree punishing gardeners especially those with large gardens and who are already very careful with water because they are on a water meter is grossly unfair

I have 8 water butts all full but that will not be enough to serve my garden so the hosepipe ban will be a disaster
despair

Postby Me » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:27 am

If anyone is telling you that you can't fill your swimming pool, they are telling lies. That can't be prohibited under a hosepipe ban - only under the next stage of a drought order for 'non essential use' prohibition.

Indeed, car washing (with a hose) is banned. I don't think I said otherwise.
Me

Postby carpinus » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:37 am

We don't have restrictions (yet) but I seem to remember that years ago when we did, there was a difference between:
a) use of a hand held hose. Permitted.
b) use of a 'leave alone to keep running' hose as with a sprinkler. Banned.
Presumably, with a), the theory is that you get arm ache before you have used too much water.
carpinus

Postby Me » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:56 am

The "sprinkler and unattended hose" ban is an optional drought measure - which all but one of the water companies in the SE chose to ignore. Pity, because the sprinkler is responsible for 80-90% of all wasted water in the garden and so this would have been an effective and fairer restriction. But it doesn't get as many headlines as a "hosepipe ban" and the whole water industry is headline-crazy.
Me

Postby despair » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:21 pm

Well my Water company has ordered no filling of swimming pools

and I can assure you if any water company allows the filling of swimming pools but stops you watering your precious crops with a hose (not a sprinkler) then if i was in their area they would find themselves dealing with a demonstration
despair

Postby subjecttocontract » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:40 pm

Despair, Will the ban include my hot tub ?
subjecttocontract

Postby Me » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:50 pm

Nope - a hosepipe ban excludes all washing and cleaning uses of a hose apart from car washing.
Me

Postby Me » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:54 pm

despair, get your placards ready. Your water compnay is exceeding its powers. The truth about swimming pools - and much else - can be found on the Three Valleys Water website (by far the most open and honest of all the companies): http://www.3valleys.co.uk/home/ah_beatt ... _dom.shtml
Me

Postby subjecttocontract » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:56 pm

Nope - a hosepipe ban excludes all washing and cleaning uses of a hose apart from car washing.

Don't really understand this comment.......a hot tub is sometimes called a jacuzzi or a spa and is definitely not used for washing or cleaning.

this is a hot tub.....see here..... http://www.hotspring.co.uk/customercorn ... nstall.asp
subjecttocontract

Postby Me » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:06 pm

I'll put it another way: the ONLY hose uses which are banned under the current restrictions are:

1. watering the garden

2. washing the car

End of. Fill as many hot tubs as your enviro-conscience will allow you to. But if you take to the hot tub instead of taking a bath or shower, then you can justify it environmentally, especially if you share the tub with a crowd.
Me

Postby Me » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:08 pm

Just wondering if the mods would consider a sticky on this subject...? I have chapter and verse, including all references/sources.
Me

Postby subjecttocontract » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:22 pm

Great news. Many thanks 'Me'.

I guess your response covers my next question......which was going to be is the topping up of large ornamental fountains included in the ban ?......

Seems like the water companies have got it in for the green fingered brigade...
subjecttocontract

Postby Me » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:44 pm

Fountains and decorative ponds aren't currently affected - although they will be if any water companies go to the next level, ie a non-essential use drought order.
Me

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

PreviousNext

Return to News