Cost of Breaking a TPO on IOW

Cost of Breaking a TPO on IOW

Postby Angelisle » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:20 am

Copied from last weeks Isle of Wight County Press.

Given the above reported facts and that MRS X :) actually knew that the work she was actioning was in Breach of the Tree Preservation Order, I expect the fine was worth it to her in order to gain more light to her garden. On the Isle of Wight Council Website there is a direct link to all TPO's as such there should really have been no excusing her blatant breach of the TPO's I really I feel MRS X got off very lightly under the circumstances. :shock:
Angelisle

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby Janieb » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:08 pm

Good for her!

I have a lime tree 3 ft behind my property the roots of which are breaking my wall. I have an issue with the council because, although they compulsorily purchased the land, it wasn't from us and we own(owned) it. They have "landscaped" it. Hedge and ditch rule. I hate the bloody thing but don't know what to do about it.
"I prefer rogues to imbeciles, because they sometimes take a rest" Alexandre Dumas (fils)
Janieb

Postby carpinus » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:08 pm

Hmmm, £250 fine + £250 costs, seems cheap compared to around my way. A local chap was threatened with a potential £2000 penalty after having a protected (grow like weeds round here) sycamore felled.
carpinus

Postby Raymond » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:29 am

I too was threatened with a £2000 fine if I touched any of mine. for £250 I would have abaited the nuisance and done the deed.
Raymond

Postby obscured by clouds » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:19 am

she got off very lightly IMO. This was wilfull damage. She knew what she was doing and tried to hide behind a 'dangerous tree' excuse.

£250? should have been a lot more than that.
obscured by clouds

Return to News