Petition

Petition

Postby rossy » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:11 pm

As some of you may have read in the forums, trampolines have become a problem for some people wishing to enjoy their gardens.

I've set up a petition on the 10 Downing St website. If any of you feel like adding your name to it this link should work.
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/trampolines/

Cheers
rossy

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby subjecttocontract » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:58 am

No thanks !

Petitions should be restricted to really important issues. They should not take up valuable time & effort that could be spent on real priorities.
Almost everything I say is tinged with irony !
subjecttocontract

Postby kandy » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:19 pm

It's already been signed by Ms Bounce C Bouncey - just waiting for that Vietnamese chap Mr Boi Ng - oh dear. :lol:
kandy

Re: Petition

Postby Maverick.uk » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:00 am

rossy wrote:As some of you may have read in the forums, trampolines have become a problem for some people wishing to enjoy their gardens.

Only those that seem to think they have a divine right to no noise outside!

Cheers

Mav
Maverick.uk

Postby kandy » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:59 pm

Maverick.uk wrote:Only those that seem to think they have a divine right to no noise outside!Mav

It would be an unreasonable person indeed that thought that. However I suspect you have never been on the receiving end of neighbours who excessively and persistently use their gardens as an extended playroom in a confined environment. It really does drive people mad when you never get a moments peace - except when it's cold and raining!

A lot of newly built American real estate is sold with covenants prohibiting trampolines and above ground pools - the siting of in ground pools and the filter equipment is also well controlled by the equivalent of planning/building control and stringent noise enforcement. Their are similarly tight sighting controls in Australia and the EPA is tight on noise generally and filters (my particular hate) are now well controlled.

There is surely a sensible reason for these controls? We just have a bit of catching up to do so that EVEYONE can make reasonable use of their gardens.
kandy

Postby kandy » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:02 pm

EVERYONE even!
kandy

Postby Maverick.uk » Sat May 05, 2007 6:50 pm

kandy wrote:
Maverick.uk wrote:Only those that seem to think they have a divine right to no noise outside!Mav

It would be an unreasonable person indeed that thought that. H.

Some of your points Kandy I agree with. In close proximity a pool pump and filter that is not noise suppressed may be a problem. However personally I am getting fed up with this constant tirade of trampoline hate mail.

In case you hadn't worked it out we have a trampoline and the kids love it. However they do not constantly use it every night, on average I guess it may get used for 2 hours max per week, on and off maybe as little as 10 minute bursts, for me this IS NOT unreasonable, and yes they probably do whoop, shout and all the rest of that, but hey that's life and kids.

I could argue that silence drives me mad and that I need activity and noise in my life (I don't but you know what I mean),

Cheers

Mav
Maverick.uk

Postby kandy » Sat May 05, 2007 8:56 pm

I have no personal negative experience of trampolines, but your use doesn't sound unreasonable.

They are clearly a problem though - worldwide, as I mentioned and despair picked up on too, a hell of a lot of new American developments forbid them fullstop and I think Australia is following too.

I take the stance that if anything I do stops someone else doing what they want to do, on a more than very infrequent basis, and vice versa - then it is unreasonable.

What people often don't 'get' is that if there is a noise problem that stresses someone out, they aren't only stressed whilst the noise is there. So for instance a neighbour of yours who hates your trampoline could actually consider your 10 minute bursts a drip drip torture effect. And they are at your whim - never able to relax or organise their day in case it starts again.

My neighbours have an enormous pool a few feet from my windows and to all intense and purpose it might as well be in my garden it is that close I get splashed. They have no kids, but literally bus them in! I wouldn't mind if they did it at a fixed time for a reasonable duration - but I get no choice so it is a perpetual, life wrecking problem - even without the pump noise - which again is dealt with effectively in America and Australia but not here.
kandy

Postby despair » Sat May 05, 2007 10:00 pm

Kandy you are dead right

The noise from swimming pools /trampolines/water features can indeed set ones nerves on edge

To many people the garden should be a peaceful place to listen to the birds or enjoy gardening but all these lifestyle programmes have given people other silly ideas
despair

Postby Maverick.uk » Sun May 06, 2007 6:01 pm

kandy wrote:I take the stance that if anything I do stops someone else doing what they want to do, on a more than very infrequent basis, and vice versa - then it is unreasonable.

Why are they more entitled to their choice of activity rather than yours....

This is where you and I differ, my take on it is that everybody is entitled to live their live how they choose. In close proximity as we are these days thought and consideration should be given but it should not stop you doing things you would like. Because there are may things in life and more so in today's society than yesteryears it takes a greater tolerance of each other. It would be nice if we all had 2 acres of land then it wouldn't matter likelihood of that....zero.

Cheers

Mav
Maverick.uk

Postby kandy » Sun May 06, 2007 9:09 pm

"Why are they more entitled to their choice of activity rather than yours...."

They're not - and vice versa - it's just that I think some activities (like noisily bonking naked in the garden) are unsuitable fullstop because they are inconsiderate. Some things that are inconsiderate are sometimes unavoidable and that is when I think you should extend tolerance. It is rare that something that is unavoidable needs to be habitual though? Some things that are inconsiderate can be made acceptable through communication and cooperation - siting, frequency and duration of use of a trampoline say, so that you fall within the level of tolerance that the neighbour is prepared to extend to you.

"In close proximity as we are these days thought and consideration should be given but it should not stop you doing things you would like. Because there are may things in life and more so in today's society than yesteryears it takes a greater tolerance of each other."

That is indeed where we differ because I feel that that is just one step away from just saying 'me me me, I'll do what I like and everyone else can lump it!' I'd say that because we live in a more overcrowded and noisy world, then you should be more careful not to upset people, you should be more considerate of others, not expect them to tolerate even more.

If I pick up your earlier remark:
"I could argue that silence drives me mad and that I need activity and noise in my life (I don't but you know what I mean),"
It's a point but I think a flawed one. (1)In reality, if you took a sample of people, the vast majority aren't distressed by silence, they are distressed by excessive noise etc. (2)Noise is something that is inflicted on people by actual action, silence isn't - it's just a state. (3)Appropriateness - Silence (or lets say a reasonable level of tranquility) is expected in a domestic garden, rock music isn't. You have the choice to go to a more suitable environment if you want rock music. Your neighbour doesn't have the choice to enjoy the tranquility of their garden if you bring a ghetto blaster into the garden.

It's a good discussion because this is why disputes arise - it shows that people do have different mindsets - I'm not saying I'm right and your wrong - we are just different. :)
kandy

Postby bellerophon714 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:59 pm

why not just ban kids? or parties?

alternatively make everyone sit in silence in their gardens.

my kids love the trampoline, and are usually bored within 10 minutes.

however, my neighbours make much greater noise (for much longer) with footballs/cricket/motorcycles etc etc.

to single out trampolines as part of "the axis of evil" beggars belief!!!! :o
bellerophon714

Postby Tm » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:45 pm

I have to put up with my neighbours kiddies and their friends screaming and screaming and shouting and screaming fairly constantly during the summer months. Yes it can be annoying and we really enjoy the time when they are not there.....however the greatest irritation was my other neighbours FIVE windchimes which jingle. Jangle. Jingle. Jangle. Jingle. Jangle. AAAARRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!! My neighbours obviously loved them. I didn't. Luckily they moved.

Now if you got up a petition to rid the world of windchimes.......
Tm

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to News